1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
"Providing support to vulnerable population groups in the context of involuntary resettlement."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
ADB's involuntary resettlement safeguard calls for a special attention to be paid to the needs of the vulnerable population groups in the context of development-induced displacement. Such mitigation measures are routinely incorporated into involuntary resettlement planning documents in ADB. Vulnerable groups are those who may be disproportionately affected by a development project, and are generally defined as those below the poverty line, the landless, the elderly, women and children, and Indigenous Peoples, and those without legal title to land. This task will entail the following: a) assessing emerging issues and solutions in the treatment of the vulnerable groups in the context of development-induced displacement, by conducting literature review of relevant and most recent sources; and b) conducting a review of ADB's land acquisition plans and other relevant instruments to develop a typology of measures used to assist the vulnerable groups in ADB projects; the review will focus on a sample of ADB's projects approved within the past 5 years; and c) creating a database to support the typology based on reviewed projects.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 8 weeks
- Timing: June 2019 onwards
ADB provides a stipend of 69 USD per day for a maximum of 56 calendar days only. Interns may choose to continue work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend.
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
- Annotated bibliography
- Summary report with findings
- Data base/spreadsheet in Excel
- Summary presentation
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Student enrolled in a Master's of PhD program in social sciences.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Interest in involuntary resettlement issues and some understanding of ADB's social safeguards;
- Experience in conducting literature and desk reviews;
- Excellent writing and communications skills; and
- Basic data entry and data analysis skills. Knowledge of SPSS/Stata is a plus.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).