Org. Setting and Reporting
The internship is located in the Regional Integration Section of the Regional Integration and Trade Division (RITD) at the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA).
The internship is for two (2) months with a possibility for extension, depending on the needs of the section.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
The Regional Integration Section deals with policy issues relating to Africa's regional integration. It leads the production of ECA's flagship report on regional integration, Assessing Regional Integration in Africa, and the Africa Regional Integration Index. It also provides support to the regional integration efforts of Africa's Regional Economic Communities. In particular, it aims to strengthen the technical capacity of regional institutions and programmes to implement existing regional agreements; the section also aims to support Regional Economic Communities in improving the regional integration climate through the seven pillars of the Boosting Intra-African Trade Action Plan (BIAT), which covers the various dimensions of REC integration. In addition, the section takes stock of existing policy frameworks at the regional level as well as regional cooperation platforms such as the Boosting of Intra-African Trade Action Plan, the various RECs policies and protocols, the Accelerated Industrial Development (AIDA) and the Programme for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA).
The focus of this internship will be to assist the section in its work to undertake research and analytically work to support member States in the formulation and designing of regional integration policies relevant for sustainable growth.
Under the general guidance of the Director of the Division, and the direct supervision of the Chief of the Regional Integration Section and within delegated authority, the incumbent will carry out the following functions:
• Assist with research on regional integration policies and agreements and their operation on the continent. Additionally, the intern will also provide assistance in reviewing specific characteristics of these policies and agreements with a view to identify regional integration opportunities that may deepen regional integration in Africa. In particular, the intern may be required to carry out research on the following questions:
- How Africa's Regional Economic Communities can achieve greater implementation of their regional agreements, including (but not limited to) the challenges of meeting regional standards and norms and promoting mutual recognition agreements (which may allow for a better adoption of regional protocols and treaties at the national level);
- How Africa's Regional Economic Communities can improve their respective regional integration climates in the areas of the seven pillars of the Boosting Intra-African Trade Action Plan (BIAT), including. This may include how Africa's Regional Economic Communities can more effectively provide the interface between the public and private sectors to instrumentalize regional integration programmes as a vehicle for private sector development;
- What policy frameworks and regional cooperation platforms exist at the regional level.
• Assist with other tasks as needed and participate in some day-to-day operational tasks of the secretariat. This may include servicing requests for information; support for developing presentations; etc.
-Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
-Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
-Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
-Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
-Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
-Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
-Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
-Places team agenda before personal agenda
-Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
-Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
-Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
-Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
-Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
-Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
-Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
-Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
• Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or (c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
• Be computer literate in standard software applications;
• Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
• Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.Languages
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in either English or French is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.Assessment
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.Special Notice
A completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
• Degree Programme (What are you currently studying?)
• Graduation Date (When will you graduate or when did you graduate from the programme?)
• List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
• List your top three areas of interest.
• Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
• Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme.
In your online Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
This is an ongoing advertisement. The successful candidates may be contacted at any time within the posting period or shortly thereafter.
United Nations Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation or sexual abuse, or crimes other than minor traffic offences, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term “sexual exploitation” means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term “sexual abuse” means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel
UN career subscription. Get new vacancies and internships daily on your phone.Subscribe now