· To translate/rephrase the IMU deliverables/products/questionnaires from Arabic to English and vice versa with high quality and using the humanitarian terminology in clear language understood by English native speakers
- § To convert the Arabic reports received from the Reporting officer/Narrative analyst to high quality English language applying humanitarian terminology in a clear manner.
- § To revise the source documents received by manager/team members in the source language Arabic/English.
- § To translate any required documents by manager from English to Arabic and vice versa
- § To perform interpretation during meetings/trainings upon request.
- § To disseminate information in close coordination with the Advocacy and Communications department.
- § To attend Cluster meetings, present IMU products there and engage with UN cluster co-leads
- § To present IMU products in professional way in English/Arabic languages in meetings
- § To prepare relevant reports/ perform additional tasks as required by management.
- Note: the above-mentioned key responsibilities/accountabilities are illustrative ones. Another future responsibilities/accountabilities may be assigned to the job depending on the department organizational chart.
Qualification (Education/Work Experience/Languages)
- § Education: Bachelor’s degree in English language, translation or any related field.
- § Language: Arabic language advanced level; English language advanced level; Turkish basic level.
- § Work Experience: A minimum of 3 years of professional experience in translating humanitarian reports, articles, statements related to the Syrian context.
- § Education: Master’s degree in English language, translation or any related field.
- § Language: Arabic language advanced level; English language advanced level; Turkish intermediate level.
- § Work Experience: A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in translating humanitarian reports, articles, statements related to the Syrian context
Core & Technical Competencies
A. Core Competencies:
- § Communication
- § Teamwork
- § Planning and Organizing
- § Accountability
- § Creativity
- § Client Orientation
- § Commitment to Continuous Learning
- § Technological Awareness.
B. Technical Competencies:
- § Excellent command and demonstrated experience in translation and presenting complex information in a clear fashion.
- § Acceptable speed of translating (8 pages per 8 working hours)
- § Good command of Microsoft office Excel: sorting data, if function, filters, …
- § Good command in Trados: using Trados to translate files, creating and modifying translation memories on Trados.
- § High familiarity with the used humanitarian terminology in reports.
- § Adobe Acrobat.
- § Interpretation skills.
- § Good command of Microsoft office Word: organizing word documents, text formatting, document layout, dealing with tables.
- § Good command of Microsoft office PowerPoint: preparing slideshows and presentations.
- § High degree of knowledge on the situation inside Syria and of actors and networks (LCs, LCs, NGOs)
- § Good command of humanitarian standards.
- § Good command of sphere standards.
- § Good knowledge of skype.