Under the guidance and overall supervision of the Head of Office, the National Humanitarian Affairs Officer (NHAO) analyzes political, social and economic trends and participates in the formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within a portfolio.
The NHAO works in close collaboration with the OCHA Libya management and coordination teams, NGOs, programme staff in other UN Agencies and OCHA HQ staff.
Under the overall supervision of the OCHA Libya Head of Office and under the day-to-day guidance of the OCHA Head of Sub-Office in Benghazi, the incumbent is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Provides substantial assistance in the implementation of inclusive humanitarian coordination including liaison with relevant UN operational agencies, NGOs, and local authorities;
- Monitors, analyzes and reports on humanitarian developments, disaster relief/management or emergency situations in Libya.
- Participates in large, complex projects, including disaster assessments or other missions; assists in the coordination of international humanitarian/emergency assistance for complex emergency/disaster situations and in ensuring the necessary support (e.g. staff, funding, specialized equipment, supplies, etc.); drafts situation reports to the international community, apprising the situation to date and specifying unmet requirements of affected areas;
- Partners with other humanitarian agencies to plan and evaluate humanitarian and emergency assistance programmes and helps ensure that latest findings, lessons learned, policy guidelines, etc. are incorporated into these activities, including gender-related considerations;
- Establishes and maintains contacts with government officials, other UN agencies, non-governmental organizations, diplomatic missions, etc.
- Undertakes and provides support to technical assistance and other field missions, including assessments using the Libya Inter-Agency Initial Rapid Needs Assessment tool;
- Prepares or contributes to the preparation of various written reports, documents and communications;
- Serves as the primary focal point for humanitarian partners in Libya; keeps abreast of latest developments, liaises with other humanitarian organizations, donors, etc., ensures appropriate monitoring and reporting mechanisms; provides information and advice on a range of related issues;
- Reviews and provides advice on policy issues related to safeguarding humanitarian principles and ensuring the effective delivery of humanitarian assistance.
- Organizes and participates in work groups, meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners on humanitarian and emergency relief-related matters.
- Tracks information required for early warning of potential humanitarian emergencies, prepares briefing materials and presentations providing up-to-date analysis on trends and developments on the humanitarian situation in the area, supports the collection of information to improve information products and assists with meeting minute taking and data entry into relevant databases as appropriate.
- Supports capacity building activities for national NGOs;
- Organizes, participates and/or assists in organizing working groups, meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners on humanitarian and emergency relief-related matters.
- Performs any other duties assigned by supervisor.
Impact of Results:
Assist the OCHA Office in Libya in identifying significant humanitarian issues and developing innovative suggestions and approaches to problem solving. Help meet organizational objectives and provide sound analytical inputs and support to the coordination of humanitarian action.
Results-Based Response Development and Management
Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses performance of the humanitarian response to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into response mechanisms
- Monitors and evaluates humanitarian response in order to bridge the gaps in coordination and information management.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts and build effective partnerships with wider humanitarian counterparts, for well coordinated humanitarian response and sound information management
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrating corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively.
Advanced University degree or equivalent in political or social sciences or related field is required. Bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution may be considered with the additional two (2) years of relevant experience.
Two (2) years of functionally-related professional experience is required. Experience of working for an international organization is essential, preferably in the humanitarian affairs, emergency relief management or development work. Familiarity with and good knowledge of the Libya crisis and humanitarian assistance to Libya is strongly desired.
Fluency in English and Arabic (both oral and written) is required.
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web based management systems.
- Proven abilities in data collection, compilation, analysis and reporting with ability to write in a clear and concise manner and effective oral communication;
- Proven skills in conducting and participating in meetings and reporting thereof.
- Ability to prioritise multiple tasks within an environment.
Contract Duration: 06 months with possibility for extension