Position Title : Human Resources Officer / Classification
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, One year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 12 December 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candiates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; and Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include all external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. With 172-member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 160 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief, Human Resources Business Partner and direct supervision of the Senior Human Resources Officer (Organizational Design and Classification), the successful candidate will assist in providing Human Resources services and advice in a timely and accurate manner.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Participate in the development, implementation and monitoring of classification strategies and processes to support efficient and effective organizational structures and posts in line with the strategic objectives of the Organization; provide input to inform organizational planning and policy formulation processes in relation to the workforce.
- Support the delivery of HRM’s strategic goals through effective job design and job evaluation; sustainability of jobs in order to respond flexibly to changing external factors.
- Develop generic post descriptions by analyzing organizational needs, meeting with functional experts, drafting descriptions for approval and finalization and posting on intranet.
- Contribute to the development and review of HRM policy proposals, recommendations, and/or revisions which make up the IOM Staff Rules, the policy and regulatory framework as well as IOM HRM best practices.
- Coordinate with managers requests for classifications/reclassification by reviewing documentation, providing advice, liaising with appropriate business areas and raters.
- Recommend Human Resources policies, procedures and practices with a view to streamlining and improving efficiency and responsiveness of classification/reclassifications service’s activities ensuring consistency with the HRM strategic objectives
- Prepare documentation for senior management regarding classification/reclassification decisions and communicate decisions to relevant stakeholders.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Human Resource, Business Administration, Law, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University degree in one of the above fields with seven years of relevant experience.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
- Experience providing human resources services and advice in a large organization.
- Experience in using SAP Organizational Management Module would be an advantage.
- Proven experience as a specialist in organizational design and job evaluation using the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC) job classification standards.
- Ability to draft and prepare human resources documentation and proposals.
- In-depth knowledge of the broad range of human resources related subject areas dealt with by the Human Resources Division, mainly classification and organizational design
- Good computer skills including Microsoft suite.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish. For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.