Under the guidance and supervision of the Operations Manager and HR Associate, the HR Assistant provides HR services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The HR Assistant promotes a client-oriented and consistent with rules and regulations approach in the Unit.
The incumbent is entrusted with the support to the Learning Manager function as secretary the learning committee, coordination of corporate training and support to professional certifications follow up and exams invigilation; training reports. S/he is also entrusted with supporting the preparation of surveys, the implementation of cost recovery, PMD follow-up, position administration in Atlas as well as accreditations appertaining to expatriate assignments. The incumbent may also be entrusted with support to wellbeing activities of the CO.
The HR Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and UNDP HQs staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of HR strategies
- Implementation of HR services
- Support to staff career management and career development
- Support to UN-related surveys
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Ensures implementation of HR strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of HR processes and records with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Input to the CO business processes mapping and elaboration of content to internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
2. Implementation of HR services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of job description’s draft, vacancy announcements, compiling matrixes, performing functions of Secretary in interview panels.
- Creation/update of positions in Atlas, association of positions to chart fields (COAs), update of COA information, setting up vendor performing the functions of Admin.HR, Position Administrator and Absence Processor in Atlas. Preparation of contracts (100/300 SSAs, SCs).
- Tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations through Atlas.
- Maintenance of the CO staffing table.
- Collection of background information for submissions to the Local Appointment and Promotion Board (LAPB).
- Update of the CO rosters.
- Maintenance of proper filing system for HR records and documents.
- Provision of information for cost-recovery bills in Atlas for HR services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- Management of SC contracts (elaboration, maintenance and contract amendments)
- Conduction of onboardings
- Performance bonus calculation
- Registration and exclusion of contracts in Extranet, UNDSS systems among others
- Registration and update of personal information, posts and benefits in ATLAS.
- Payrolling of FTAs, SCs and UNVs in Atlas through data entry and data update
- Support in the elaboration of management reports of the HR Unit
- Provision of information required by the contracted consultant
- Support in the preparation of spreadsheets for budget and revisions.
- Recruitment and selection of FTA and TA posts for UNDP and UN agencies)
- Management of leaves of all types of contract
- Bidding services when required
3. Ensures proper staff performance management and career development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of background information to Learning Management Committee.
- Support the draft the office Learning plan and individual learning plans.
4. Ensures conduct of UN-related surveys focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collection of information for comprehensive and interim local salary, participation in the work of LSSC, hardship and place-to-place surveys.
5. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Conduction of trainings for the operations/projects staff on HR issues.
- Contribution to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
The key results have an impact on the execution of the CO HR services in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed. Accurate data entry and presentation of financial information and client-oriented approach enhances UNDP capability in the HR management.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectivelly
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Secondary Education is required.
- University Degree or Specialized certification in HR will be an asset.
- At least 5 years of continuous HR experience such as contract administration, payroll, benefits and entitlement management, recruitment and selection among others is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in the Portuguese and English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN official language will be an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
For candidates living in another city than the duty station (Brasilia), removal allowance will not be granted by UNDP.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension