Org. Setting and Reporting
These positions are currently located in the Human Resources Operations (HR-Ops) under the Headquarters Client Support Service (HQCSS), Division of Administration, New York, Department of Operational Support (DOS). The Human Resources Assistant will report to the Human Resources Officer and Chief of Section.
In line with the Secretary-General's management reform effective 01 January 2019, DOS will focus on operations, services, transactions and surge support to entities in weak environments. It will service and support the entire Secretariat - at Headquarters, the regional commissions and offices away from Headquarters and in the field.
Within delegated authority, the Human Resources Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
RECRUITMENT AND PLACEMENT
•Processes the onboarding of new staff through the Talent Management system or Inspira.
•Assists in the filling of posts for all categories, including initiating and following-up on reference checks and academic verifications, ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities, calculating salaries and related benefits, and preparing and dispatching offers of appointment and Statement of Emoluments.
•Follows up on the status of recruitment related actions;
•Coordinates with relevant parties and advises selected candidates on visa matters and travel and shipment arrangements;
•Reviews and processes personnel actions through Umoja.
ADMINISTRATION OF ENTITLEMENTS
•Reviews and processes requests for entitlements and claims, such as rental subsidy, education grant, dependency allowance and annual declaration on dependency benefits;
•Processes related personnel actions in Umoja;
•Answers queries covering a range of human resources services from staff of assigned organizational units or from selected candidates regarding Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative instructions and policies;
•Follows up on the status of human resources administration related actions.
•Conducts human resources entitlement clearances for separating staff and assists staff in settling any final claims.
•Undertakes research on a range of HR related issues and assists in the preparation of notes/reports.
•Provides general office support services; processes, drafts, edits, proofreads and finalizes for signature/approval a variety of correspondence and other communications; sets up and maintains reference files/records; schedules appointments/meetings, monitors deadlines of relevant human resources management actions.
•Trains and provides supervision to new and lower-level staff in the Section.
•Performs other duties as required.
• PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of human resources policies, procedures and practices related to administration of entitlements, on-boarding and contract management and ability to interpret and apply them in an organizational setting. Demonstrates use of initiative and makes appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipates next steps. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
• PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
High school diploma or equivalent.Work Experience
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administrative services or related area is required. Experience in the implementation of human resources policies, procedures and practices covering administration of contracts, entitlements and benefits in the United Nations system or similar international Organizations is required. Experience in the use of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, such as Umoja, SAP or equivalent, covering human resources functions is desirable. Experience in the use of a Talent Management system such as Inspira is desirable.Languages
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the positions advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.Assessment
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview.Special Notice
Duration of need: Through 25 February 2020 with possibility of an extension.
•These positions are subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the United Nations Staff Rules. All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance of each office, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. A staff member subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
•Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Applicants who have not passed the GGST at the time of application may be invited for the test after submitting an application. Having passed the Administrative Support Assessment Test in English at the United Nations headquarters, Economic Commission for Africa, Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia, United Nations Office at Geneva, United Nations Office at Vienna, International criminal tribunal for Rwanda or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
•Applicants for these positions should be advised that recruitment is subject to classification, which is approved by the Compensation and Classification Section, HRM/DMSPC. Internal applicants should note that the granting of SPA is contingent upon classification of the position.
• If the selected candidate is a staff member from the United Nations Secretariat, the selection will be administered as a temporary assignment.
• Staff members of the United Nations common system organizations who will reach the mandatory age of separation or retirement within the duration of the current temporary need period are not eligible to apply. Submitting an application or selection for the current temporary job opening does not delay or increase the mandatory age of separation.
• Staff members of the United Nations common system organizations who will reach the mandatory age of separation or retirement within the duration of the current temporary need period are not eligible to apply.Submitting an application or selection for the current temporary job opening does not delay or increase the mandatory age of separation.
• Retirees above the mandatory age of separation who wish to be considered for the current temporary job opening must indicate the reason for their last separation as "retirement." Such retirees shall not be employed by the Organization, unless (a) the operational requirements of the Organization cannot be met by staff members who are qualified and available to perform the required functions; and (b) the proposed employment would not adversely affect the career development or redeployment opportunities of other staff members and represents both a cost-effective and operationally sound solution to meet the needs of the service.
• While this temporary assignment may provide the successful applicant with an opportunity to gain new work experience, the selection for this position is for a limited period and has no bearing on the future incumbency of the post.
• Subject to the funding source of the positions, the eligibility for this temporary job opening may be limited to candidates based at the duty station.
United Nations Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term “sexual exploitation” means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term “sexual abuse” means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term “sexual harassment” means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator’s working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.