Opportunity in Washington, DC
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has contracted through ZemiTek partnered with CAMRIS International, to recruit and hire qualified individuals for the following position:
Title: Health Strengthening Systems Advisor (Consultant)
United States Agency for International Development/Bureau of Africa/Office of Sustainable Development (SD)/Health Team
**Please note this is a 100 day consultant position
With more than 30 years’ experience providing information technology (IT) and management consulting services worldwide, Rosa Caldas, formed ZemiTek in 2007. Based in the Washington, DC metro area, ZemiTek delivers solutions to the federal government by supporting agencies such as USAID, US Patent and Trademark Office, US Department of Justice, US Department of Agriculture, and Department of Homeland Security, among others; and internationally to their missions in Africa, Asia, Europe and Eurasia, Latin America, the Caribbean, and the Middle East.
CAMRIS International is among the top 20 USAID contractors for the third year in a row. CAMRIS realizes innovative solutions to health and development challenges through high-quality, cost-effective programs and research management services. With experience working in more than 80 countries, CAMRIS combines proven systems with today’s most effective, evidence-based best practices to improve the lives of people around the world.
We are living in a time of unprecedented technological advancement. Digital technology and AI are changing the way we live and do business. Artificial Intelligence (AI) has the potential to contribute to solutions to some of the world’s toughest problems through the appropriate use of data and algorithms. Many experts believe that with these changes, we are on the cusp of another revolution, one that will be more profound than even the industrial revolution. Recognizing and preparing for those changes will define the success of USAID programs, particularly those related to the Agency’s key goal of fostering country self-reliance.
The health sector is already undergoing rapid transformation. For example, a simple mobile phone is creating the ability to reach remote populations with the latest technology and AI to provide quality services. Technology is helping to overcome bottlenecks in access to health infrastructure as well as specialized expertise.
Africa Bureau (AFR) has been promoting the use of digital technologies both with the Missions and country officials for several years. The goal has been to keep the field informed of emerging technologies and the ways that they can make health systems and health services more effective and cost efficient. The latest advancement in this space is AI. AFR, in collaboration with the Global Development Lab (LAB) and with support from the Bureau for Global Health, would like to invest in better understanding the potential for AI to strengthen health systems.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Advisor will work with the colleagues in AFR and the Lab to review current practices in the application of AI in the health sector and provide technical guidance on how countries can integrate the use of AI to improve health challenges. S/he will also be responsible for beginning the process of solution co-design with local stakeholder, if needed.
DELIVERABLES AND ACTIVITIES:
The consultant will:
- Analyze the current status, known challenges, and best practices in the application of AI for addressing health workforce issues at the health systems level, ideally drawing from the health sector in developing countries but also gleaning relevant information from across development sectors when appropriate.
* Deliverable: Completion of an approved desk review focusing on research questions determined by AFR, the Lab, and local stakeholders.
- Provide technical assistance to AFR and the LAB on a health system need that AI is suited for and how AI can be applied to address the problems
* Deliverable: Participate in meetings and calls with AFR, the LAB, the Africa Bureau Research Team, and/or stakeholders at Missions or local partner organizations; Complete an approved business model with suggested application of AI tools to address health system challenges identified in the review.
Other components of the business model should include but is not limited to:
* Specifications for additional data needs where necessary
* Mapping the stakeholders and regulatory environment for data, privacy and security
* Process of application of AI including private-public partnerships and cost component estimates
* Methodology for evaluating the impact of the use of AI
* Potential resource savings (costs, time, quality improvement, patient experience etc.) through the use of AI
* Masters in Public Health or related field with a minimum of 5 years experience.
* This is a senior level position that requires maturity, familiarity with existing work in digital health, ability to write clear and concise reports, and able to complete deliverables with limited supervision.
* Strong background or formal training in digital technology applications in international development and/or low resource settings.
* Strong background or formal training in monitoring and evaluation, learning and adaptation (MELA).
* Strong background or formal training in economics preferred.