- Type of contract:
- Fixed-term contract which may be converted into a permanent contract after five years subject to individual performance and organisational needs
- Who can apply:
- I band and benefits
- Working time:
- Place of work:
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Closing date for applications:
- Monday, 21 January 2019
You will manage the Systems Services Section within the Infrastructure & Operational Services Division (IOS) in the Directorate General Information Systems (DG/IS).
DG/IS delivers, develops and supports the information and communications systems of the European Central Bank (ECB). We also provide an information systems governance structure and framework (including architecture and security policies) for the common systems and services of the Eurosystem/European System of Central Banks (ESCB). IOS is responsible for providing high quality, stable, resilient and secure IT infrastructure services for other DG/IS divisions and ECB/ESCB customers. In providing these services, the Division works extensively with Managed Services Providers (MSP’s) and underpins its work through well-designed operational processes. In your role as Head of Section, you will guide a team of about 18 IT Experts responsible for the delivery of Middleware, Directory Services and critical business infrastructure services such as SWIFT.
We are currently working on the next generation of client and service hosting solutions (including extending our cloud capabilities), as well as state-of-the–art solutions for converged managed platforms and enhanced data and information exchange; in doing so we place high importance on data integrity and secure solutions, including interconnectivity between services.
You will work closely with the Head of Division, other Heads of Section in IOS, other DG/IS managers, stakeholders across the ECB and Managed Services Providers.
To further enhance the diversity of our team, we particularly encourage applications from female candidates.
As Head of the Systems Services Section you will:
- lead and manage the Section’s team, define the Section’s medium-term plans and annual work programmes – in line with directions from the Head of Division and in accordance with the ECB strategy and the business areas’ objectives – and manage staff issues, performance and development, and output;
- guide the Section to ensure that operational services, projects and other activities are delivered to a high quality, on time and within budget, meeting commitments given to other DG/IS divisions and other customers within the ECB/ESCB;
- foster a collaborative working atmosphere and an engaged and committed team;
- coach team members to foster their professional development;
- establish and maintain a high level of knowledge in the Section’s area of responsibility;
- develop and maintain trust-based partnerships within DG/IS and with ECB business areas;
- manage vendor relations and monitor services provided by externals;
- represent the Division within the ECB and in ESCB project steering groups;
- engage and collaborate with the Head of Division and senior management on opportunities and challenges and bring proactive and innovative ideas and initiatives to the discussions of DG/IS’s management team.
The position offers you excellent opportunities to be at the forefront of the delivery of smart, scalable and efficient next-generation infrastructure services based on a high degree of integrity, automation, flexibility and increased transparency, supporting a world-class, data-centric institution. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a master’s degree or equivalent (read more) in computer science, information systems, business administration or another relevant field;
- in addition to the above, a minimum of seven years of experience working in an IT department or a department heavily involved in IT;
- at least three years of experience in coordinating and coaching teams of professional staff, preferably in IT activities related to the development, implementation, maintenance and support of IT infrastructure services;
- experience in establishing and implementing IT roadmaps in support of business goals;
- experience in building internal business relations and the delivery of strongly customer-orientated and user-centric IT solutions;
- a good understanding of factors influencing the implementation, maintenance and operation of critical and secure IT solutions;
- experience in IT portfolio/project management from conception to completion;
- knowledge of processes for ensuring that IT services are provided in a focused, effective and cost-optimised manner;
- good knowledge of service level management with the ability to negotiate service level agreements with customers and design services in accordance with the agreed service level targets;
- familiarity with different IT functions and with relevant ISO or other industry standards;
- an advanced command of English and an intermediate command of at least one other official language of the EU.
- experience in setting and managing budgets;
- knowledge of factors related to the deployment of cloud-based solutions supporting critical business applications;
- knowledge of advanced automation solutions for the management and support of infrastructure solutions, preferably including rapid application deployment (DevOps);
- experience in sourcing, contract negotiation, procurement, and establishing and working with managed services.
You engage collaboratively with others. You pursue team goals and can draw on the strengths of a diverse team to get the best results. You support the efforts of team members to develop their abilities and are able to build up high-performing teams. You facilitate change and can articulate strategic priorities and scenarios for your team.
For additional information you have the opportunity to contact the recruiting manager, Mr Glenn Scott, on Thursday 3 January between 14:00 and 15:00 and Wednesday 9 January between 9:20 and 10:30 on +49 (0)69 13447730.
The recruitment process for this position may include an online interview via WebEx at the pre-selection stage and – if you are invited to participate further in the selection procedure – an on-site written exercise, a presentation and interviews.
The selection procedure will also include a separate assessment of your managerial and leadership competencies.
Application and selection process
For further information on how to join us, read more.