Position Title : Head, Resources Management
Duty Station : Sana'a, Yemen
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 12 November 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
External female candidates:
Candidate from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states of IOM and female candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Yemen, and in cooperation with relevant units at Headquarters (HQs), in particular Department of Resources Management (DRM)-Emergency Support Unit (ESU), Administrative Centres (Manila Administrative Centre (MAC) and Panama Administrative Center (PAC)) and Regional Office (RO) for Middle East and North Africa (MENA) in Cairo, Egypt, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for managing, monitoring and administering the resources management functions of IOM Yemen and its sub offices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Plan, coordinate and manage all resources management functions for the IOM Yemen Country Office (CO) and the network of sub-offices, field offices and field operations; inclusive of finance, procurement and logistics, information communication and technology (ICT), human resources (HR), common services and travel operations functions.
Working primarily with the Senior Resources Management Officer (SRMO) and with the heads of each administrative unit, develop and implement relevant operational control systems to strengthen internal controls by the creation of standard operating procedures (SOPs) with regular quality control review.
Ensure the implementation of and adherence to internal controls to safeguard the organization’s assets, programmes reputation and prevent fraud and mismanagement.
Work closely with the IOM Yemen Senior Management team, and in coordination with ESU with the Chief Risk Officer, and auditors to ensure appropriate risk mitigation measures are established and that gaps are addressed timely and appropriately to avoid further risk to the organization.
Build capacity of all resources management team members to ensure Resources Management Unit (RMU) functionality in the event of insecurity/relocation/evacuation. Establishment and maintenance of a Business Continuity Plan to ensure programme continuity and to limit unnecessary risk to the organization should such disruption take place.
Lead the coordination of financial and administrative aspects of agreements, in close coordination with relevant project managers, Programmes Support team, Resources Management Team, Grants Compliance Unit, donors and other relevant support teams such as the Crisis Management Team, the Office of Legal Affairs, Global Procurement Services Unit (GPSU) and other relevant IOM strategic team members.
Develop and implement IOM Yemen standard operating procedures to streamline resources and programmes support functions. Creation and maintenance of common databases to minimize duplication and streamline common service provision; such as finance, ITC, HR and Logistics and Procurement.
Along with Country Office (CO) senior management, lead and contribute to multiyear planning to meet short and longer-term CO goals. Manage IOM Yemen resources strategically to bolster geographic and programmatic expansion and maintenance. Closely monitoring the CO’s strategy and growth to ensure appropriate resources are in place to support the IOM Yemen portfolio.
Support the CoM and Project Managers in managing the human resources functions and make recommendations on recruitment and personnel administration. Apply internal HR policies, rules and regulations and make recommendations for resolving difficult or sensitive cases in coordination with relevant units/departments within the organization.
Provide support to the CoM and Project Managers in answering queries on the correct allocation of programme funds and providing any requisite documentation including for auditing purposes. Support Project Managers throughout the project cycle to ensure compliance with IOM's policies and procedures and any donor specific requirements.
Represent the Organization at relevant meetings and interagency-forums with partners, stakeholders, and donors; most notably the interagency office management team (OMT), liaison with financial institutions, government counterparts, UN entities and other stakeholders as required in performance of the resources management functions.
In collaboration with IOM Yemen Senior Management seek opportunities for IOM to establish and maintain enabling functions for the wider UN/humanitarian community (common supply pipelines, common logistics/transportation support, humanitarian hubs, fuel supply, flight services etc).
Undertake duty travel to provide guidance on resources management functions; establish controls and procedures; resolve and provide guidance on resources management problems/issues; and build resources management capacity at the country office and in sub/field offices and operations.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA),Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
• Field experience, including in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as international institutions;
• Minimal five years of Senior management experience in a large complex L3 humanitarian emergencies;
• Management experience at the international level, accompanied by background in finance, accounting and budgeting as well as experience in human resources management required;
• Practical experience in IOM or an intergovernmental field-based organization in administrative and financial management, budget monitoring, cash management and internal control procedures;
• Experience in supervising the development and implementation of administrative control procedures, coordinating external auditing exercise;
• Knowledge of IOM/UN finance, procurement and HR procedures and rules;
• Knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP highly desirable;
• High level of computer literacy, experience in computerized accounting system and software; knowledge of MS office specifically EXCEL; knowledge of accounting systems, software and procedures (SAP a distinct advantage).
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic,
French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.