- Ensure efficient secretariat functions are provided to the UNCT
- Participate in the Inter-Agency Working Groups
- Strengthen the RCO’s information and reporting systems, ensuring efficient flows of information between the RC and the UNCT as well as the UN Global system (including UNDOCO, RBAS, CRU)
- Support the implementation of harmonized approaches to data collection and analysis including through the use of DevInfo
- Ensure M&E systems are in place for the purpose of the CA/UNDAF and the recovery related activities in the UN & Partners work plan.
- Ensure that information regarding the transitional planning and programming activities of the UN system is available in a transparent manner
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with Agency representatives, UN Colleagues and Government counterparts of all levels.
- Ensure that information regarding the transitional planning and programming activities of the UN system is conveyed in a transparent manner to all UN Agencies and Partners
- Support the RC and UNCT in engaging bilateral and multilateral donors, including for resource mobilization, and direct the initiation and development of related preparatory and follow-up action.
- Support the RC and UNCT in engaging civil society, media and other external partners for UN thematic days.
- Ensure that UN agencies, Government and donors are aware of the co-ordination role of the RC System in the context UN system as a whole.
- Coordinate and supervise RC Office staff providing practical support to the UNCT to monitor and maintain the UNCT/MT work plan, including the UNDAF and the UNDAF results matrixes.
- Attend relevant humanitarian meetings including the HCT to forge and strengthen linkages with UNCT, and for the humanitarian, development and political synergies.
- Facilitate the establishment of an adequate process to increase coherence between multi-annual humanitarian and development response strategies (multi-annual HRP, UNDAF, Durable Solutions Strategy, national strategies), and provide input and guidance to the design of the multi-annual HRP and UNDAF 2018-2022;
- Support the HC/RC, HCT, UNCT, sectors, and donors to ensuring linkages to the longer term development activities,
- Ensure appropriate coordination with relevant humanitarian and development partners and establish effective links between clusters / sectoral groups to promote multi-sectoral and multi-annual planning and response,
- Assist the HC/RC in establishing a multi-stakeholder coordination platform to guide the overall process of linking relief and recovery, to monitor progress, and to advise on course correctors as needed.
- Oversee the day to day operations of the RCO. Provide leadership, coordination and effective oversight to established coordination structures both in Khartoum and at the field level; this includes coordinating field offices work plans and the harmonization of the offices
- Financial management: Establishes and implements adequate internal controls to ensure the integrity of financial transaction, systems and reports consistently applies rules and regulations.
- Coordinate all activities emanating from the RCO, set priorities, supervise and ensure follow-up and feedback
- Provide direction and guidance on the transition from humanitarian to recovery and development led coordination;
- Manage and coordinate the preparation of the RC Annual Plan and Report, ensuring an inclusive process to capture the key outputs of the UNCT’s work.
- Prepare proposals for the allocation of RC and UNDOCO funds. Monitor and control the usage of these funds, review transactions and prepare expenditure reports.
- Represent the RCO in official functions, as required.
- Ensure UNCT is informed of training opportunities for UN staff
- Serve as interface with UN Development Group Office
- Coordinate and prepare inputs into reports of the Resident Coordinator.
- Full compliance with UNSECOORD requirements on security. Participation in the work of the UN Security Management Team.
- Development of partnerships with IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on donor strategies and national development strategies, provision of advice to UN RC on ensuring synchronicity, alignment and complementarity between these strategies and UN activities.
- Coordination of the substantive preparations of the UNCT for CGs, roundtables and other key events in close consultation with appropriate counterparts in government, bilateral and multilateral partners.
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness, by modelling the UN values & ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of the UN
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Experience in transition and humanitarian coordination.
- Extensive knowledge of UN system, procedures and operational activities.
- Previous experience in joint programme development would be an asset.
- Dependability, reliability and initiative.
- Strategic vision and strong analytical capabilities. Good political judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement information and knowledge management systems
- Substantial experience in aid effectiveness, coordination and management in relief, recovery and development
- Recent country and/or regional experience in capacity development
- Proven advocacy skills in post-conflict environments
- Demonstrated experience in the design and successful implementation of new business processes
- Excellent planning, organizational and management skills.
- Ability to plan own work and coordinate the work of others
- Capacity to deliver tasks on time and to meet goals, including in highly pressured, insecure environments
- Manages conflicting priorities and / or with limited supervision
- Develops innovative approaches to deal with complex policy/technical issues
- Ability to work under pressure and to effectively handle multiple tasks without compromising quality, team spirit and positive working relationships.
- Cultural sensitivity, strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of team, and carry responsibilities of the larger team as needed
- Demonstrated well developed people management and organizational skills
- Excellent negotiating and networking skills
- Builds strong relationships with partners, focuses on impact for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral / attitudinal change
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Ability to negotiate at decision-making level.
- Mature judgment and initiative, combined with a very strong analytical talent
- Strong managerial experience and decision-making skills
- Proven ability to provide strategic direction in her/his area of expertise
- Independent judgment and discretion in advising on handling major policy issues and challenges
- Ability to strongly promote and build knowledge products
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information and best practices from within and outside the UN System
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Ability to draft/edit a variety of reports, presentations and communications
- Articulates ideas in a clear, concise style
- Master's level university degree or higher, in a related field such as but not limited to international relations, social sciences, political science, legal, economics, international development and/or management.
- A minimum of 10 years relevant work experience, in recovery, development, humanitarian, political and/or transitional operations, including work experience in the field, in a post-conflict setting, is required.
- Extensive experience in providing high-level political, policy and strategic advice – essential; including a proven track record of success and progressive responsibility in such a role.
- Detailed knowledge of UN system policies, priorities, and programming especially in crisis and post-conflict situations.
- Full working knowledge of English, and excellent drafting, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Strong communication and advocacy skills and a proven ability to work in an environment requiring liaison and collaboration with multiple actors.
- Proficiency in all basic computer application programs
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Arabic will be an advantage.
Important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment. For more information please click here and here.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension