Position Start Date : 01.08.2019
Duration : 3 months
Location : Juba – South Sudan
Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled
Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief organization, based in Lausanne (Switzerland). Every year our projects support more than 2 million children (3 million in 2016) and their families in over 35 countries. We are part of the Terre des hommes International Federation (TDHIF), with 9 other sister organizations in Switzerland, Europe and Canada.
Tdh has been working in South Sudan since 2014 and is conducting emergency operations in two locations : Yei and Juba.
In 2016, following the clashes that took place in the Equatoria Region, Yei River State (Former Central Equatoria State) was identified as zone of major humanitarian concern. At the beginning of 2017, Tdh launched a program in Yei town to improve overall child protection outcomes through an integrated approach, including WASH, FSL and education projects.
Current Tdh work covers four thematic areas including: Child Protection ,FSL (Food Security and Livelihoods), WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene), and Education
Earlier programs were restricted to Yei Municipality as the area outside was inaccessible to humanitarian workers but more recently, programs have begun outside areas starting in 3 counties.
In Juba Tdh has been working in the Protection of Civilian (POC) camp since 2014 with child protection project ( mainly case management, alternative care, CFS and helpdesks). The strategy is now to handle over the project to a national NGO.
Currently Tdh South Soudan projects are covered by multiple donors: Swiss solidarity, German Ministry of Foreign Affairs, SSHF, ECHO ( in consortium), GIZ and UNICEF.
In his/her capacity of representative of the Foundation, the Head of Program reports to the Country Representative and oversees Tdh programs in Juba and Yei. S/he works in close collaboration with the Support Departments (LOG, Finance and HR) and makes sure that communication and sufficient links are made between the program team and the support team.
The Head of program ensures the application and development of the Tdh delegation's intervention strategy, in collaboration with all the parties. S/he is responsible for the implementation of the strategy, the development and the managerial coordination of the project teams, and s/he has a major responsibility for the projects strategy, steering and outcomes.
The Head of program helps the grants team members in designing and fundraising for grants in South Sudan, through the monitoring of donor opportunities, the drafting of concept notes & project documents with the Country Representative and HQ’s team, and the proactive submission to donors.
S/he supports and validates the quality of the work done by the teams as regards with Tdh mandate, policies and commitments, and international standards. S/he coordinates and develops national measures for dialogue and partnership with local, national and international partners.
Strategic and Operational Development
- Strengthens the integrated country program strategy by suggesting and leading the design of new operations according to changing humanitarian needs
- Ensures close and regular contacts with bilateral and multilateral donors/funding agencies, of whom he/she knows the policy (operation strategy, financing policy and modalities, in compliance with the associative project of Tdh)
Quality Programming Defined, Established and Implemented
- Ensures that programs and action plans are carried out and monitored to achieve the results and for quality implementation
- Ensures that practices respect Tdh’s mandate, policies and format
Quality Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
Supervises the M&E team to ensure that program implementation is in line with the quality standards and requirements from Tdh and donors guidelines
Ensures the design of systematic and realistic M&E plans and tools that capture quantitative and qualitative data to report on all indicators in programs and promote evidence-based programming
Compiles and finalizes all reporting deliverables for submission to donors in line with guidance and support from CR and HQ
Staff Performance Management, Learning & Development
- Supervises and builds the capacity of team members in relevant technical and management competencies
- Maintains open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions
- The Head of Programs supervises Program Coordinators and Grants team to ensure projects implementation is on track within the project cycle management.
Coordination and Representation of Tdh
- Ensures the representation (with his/her teams) of Tdh among partners, donors and different authorities for the area which he/she is responsible for
- Represents the organization locally amongst donors, NGOs, International Organizations and local authorities
- Coordinates with the Country representative and with the Grants manager, in order to ensure quality at operational level
- It may be required to work out of hours or on weekends, depending on the emergency of the situation
- S/he is expected to visit Tdh bases and disaster-affected areas regularly (depending on security and clearance from authorities)
- Agrees to comply with Tdh Code of Conduct and promote Child Safeguarding policy
- Reports serious cases of abuse on children that she/he would be aware of in Tdh’s intervention locations. Strict confidentiality must be respected.
Education: Advanced University degree in relevant field
At least 4 years of experience in a coordination position; experience in program management including support and programmatic aspects
Advance IT knowledge (hardware and software, Microsoft Office, Internet)
Previous experience with an NGO is mandatory
Previous experience in emergency response is required
Successful track record of developing funding strategies and securing high levels of funding from institutional donors (OFDA; BPRM; DFID; ECHO; UN; etc.) and/or proven knowledge of logistics implementation at national level
Experience of working overseas in remote and complex locations
Experience of building and developing the capacity of staff
Experience of managing multiple thematic program areas; child protection is a plus
Experience in security management
A commitment to excellence; attention to details
Previous work experience related to Bangladesh is an advantage
Required qualities: organized, sense of human relations, diplomacy, communication skills
Desirable: proactive, autonomous, rigorous, analytical, willingness and motivation to work in an international and intercultural context
Excellent writing and editing skills in English (written and spoken)
Knowledge of the Bangladesh context would be a distinct advantage
Expatriate contract under Swiss regulations 3’400 CHF (~2’950 €) < > 4’750 CHF (~4’100 €) net /month according to experience x 13 times, Vacancy: 25 days annual leaves local accommodation and transportation, Health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight.
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies :
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure: raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.
To know more about Terre des hommes: https://vimeo.com/253387418