- Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and collaborative preparation/revision of the CCA, UNDAF, CPD, and other relevant documents;
- Identification of strategic and innovative programme areas of cooperation;
- Analysis and presentation of UNDP policies and their implementation in the CO;
- CO business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Based Management, control of the workflows in the Programme Unit;
- Ensures mainstreaming of gender and other cross-cutting issues within the country office programme portfolio, including conflict sensitive and human rights-based approaches to programming;
- Ensures synergies across all programming areas of governance and peace building leveraging on available technical and financial resources for result and impact;
Ensures effective management of the CO programme and supervision of the Governance and Peacebuilding Programme Team focusing on quality control programming from formulation to implementation achieving the following results:
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results;
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the governance and peace building team, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. The Unit Head performs the function of Manager Level 2 in Atlas for development projects transactions approval;
- Effective monitoring and evaluation, continuous analysis of the programme environment and timely readjustment of programmes;
- Organization of cost-recovery system for the services provided by the CO to projects in close collaboration with Operations team.
- Development and implementation of CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes;
- Creation and coordination of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.;
- Determination of programmatic areas of cooperation based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities;
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing;
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals;
- Provision of top-quality policy and strategic advice to Government on development and implementation of governance and peace building policies and strategies;
- Development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the government and other strategic partners;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Organization of trainings for the operations/project staff on programme.
- Creates effective advocacy strategies;
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses;
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals;
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners;
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings;
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals;
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations;
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor;
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach;
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned;
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country leve;l
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms;
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments;
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses;
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level;
- Anticipates client needs;
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective;
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality;
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents;
- Building support and political acumen;
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Building and promoting effective teams;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization;
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards;
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking;
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in International Studies/Relations, Public Administration, Law, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience at national and/or international level in providing strategic high-level programming and policy advisory services in the area of governance, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organizations and national governments;
- Experience in partnership building and management with multiple stakeholders;
- Knowledge and experience in working with UN/UNDP agencies an advantage;
- Experience in leading and working with teams guiding strategic programming processes.
- Fluency in English and national language of the duty station.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension