MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
The Head of Advocacy and Policy is a regional position which will closely coordinate the work of each consortium partner in the advocacy space, particularly Amref Health Africa’s End FGM Centre of Excellence (CoE), focuses on regional advocacy and supporting national in-country advocacy, maximising the work of the membership to support advocacy aims, works closely with Global Advocacy Director, particularly around partnerships for fundraising.
· Lead the development and execution of advocacy strategy, in partnership with the consortium members, Amref country offices, other HQ units, North America & Europe and the Communications team, with a focus on key government leaders, NGOs, activists and funders.
· Support Global Advocacy Director in the development and implementation of the consortium’s Advocacy agenda with regard to FGM and child marriage.
. Work with the consortium’s hub leadership and Amref’s senior management to broaden understanding of strategic and operational Advocacy issues.
Create alignment within Amref
· Have regular contact with other advocacy roles within Amref working on FGM.
· Coordinate the Community of Practice with the existing advocacy focal staff in relevant country offices and HQ units.
· Coordinate presence at (inter)national conferences to align to Amref’s advocacy agenda.
· Support in managing high-profile engagements on ending FGM/Child marriages at the consortium level and at regional/global levels, including influencing agendas to raise awareness.
· Build relationships with the consortium, key partners and stakeholders within the civil society / NGO community, parliament, policy makers, as well as with local and international institutions; establish and deepen relationships and develop joint political and policy advocacy activities beyond project specific activities.
. Provide oversight of the relationships with civil society partners, regional bodies and consultants and ensure timely execution of joint work plans. Identify and bring on board new partners as needed.
Planning and organizing
· Support the Global Advocacy Director to plan and coordinate implementation of consortium’s advocacy activities.
. Support consortium’s CSOs in convening multi-sectoral national-level group of key stakeholders to advance the end FGM/child marriages agenda and leverage opportunities at international level in coordination with other Amref HQ units.
. Support in the development, implementation and monitoring annual advocacy consortium work plans and budgets, mentor and coach advocacy team members, and ensure coherence across country -based, regional and global advocacy activities.
. Model collaborative cross-organizational and inter-organizational working to promote the “End FGM/Child marriages” advocacy agenda.
. Support in policy development/reviewing Advocacy.
. Maintain a working knowledge of relevant issues, laws and regulations around FGM/Child marriage especially in the consortium countries and African region through periodicals, seminars, training programs and peer contacts in the Advocacy sphere.
. Collaborate closely with research and advocacy teams to develop research for policy briefs and translate advocacy results into concrete policy briefs/reports and share across the organization.
Reporting/ Information management
. Produce periodic standard and ad hoc reports on advocacy initiatives.
. Prepare management reports regarding advocacy initiatives and progress.
. Maintain necessary records and files to assure efficient and consistent reporting of ‘End FGM/Child marriage' advocacy efforts across the consortium and within Amref.
Networking and representation
· Represent the consortium and Amref externally at advocacy meetings and events organized and/or attended by key advocacy stakeholders.
. Share and leverage evidence, engage directly with key stakeholders, cultivate and leverage champions.
. Provide technical support to consortium partners and Amref country offices to implement advocacy activities in coordination with other respective country level advocacy managers.
. Provide technical leadership and quality assurance/oversight of the country level Programme work.
. Works cross-departmentally to create funding proposals for new and existing Advocacy projects.
. Support the Global Advocacy Director to develop a training plan, and collaborate with consortium members to develop advocacy training content, acting as subject matter expert and facilitate delivery and tracking of training.
. Works with civil society actors to strengthen their abilities to communicate (to various audiences using audience-appropriate media) on ending FGM and child marriages.
. In liaison with Consortium’s Head of Communications lead on the development and dissemination of advocacy, communications and outreach materials such as briefs, policy documents, newsletters, info graphics, websites and social media bulletins in collaboration. Additionally deploy strategic communications, speak and publish across influential platforms.
. Plans, designs and implements strategies for communications, outreach and public awareness concerning women rights, FGM, Child marriages, government commitments under the Advocacy Agenda, and Consortium’s targeted countries and other African countries they have made over time towards such commitments.