Creative’s Bringing Unity, Integrity, and Legitimacy to Democracy (BUILD) is a USAID-funded project designed to support ongoing political processes in Somalia by fostering increased citizen participation; building the capacity of civil society, election management bodies, political parties and other relevant government and non-government bodies to support various political processes, including elections. Implemented by Creative in partnership with the International Republican Institute and Forcier Consulting, BUILD is a five-year project in its third year of implementation.
Creative seeks a Grants Officer for a current USAID funded project in Somalia. The Grants Officer will provide administrative and technical guidance and support to the Grants Manager, and technical experts on the design of grant applications, guidelines, and regulations for the small grants mechanism. S/he will also provide mentoring and guidance for Civil Society Organizations responding to requests for grants’ applications and implementing grants.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Grants Officer will report to the Grants Manager.
- Expert-level contributions to the team;
- Regulatory and programmatic oversight of grants and other assigned projects;
- Technical leadership and management of the grants component of the BUILD project;
- Mentorship and nurturing of staff and grantees.
- Help design grant applications, including content, guidelines, and regulations for the small grants;
- Familiarity with civic and voter education and advocacy grants for Civil Society Organizations;
- Provide advisory assistance to grant applicants and the review of grant submissions;
- Analyze and evaluate grant submissions for technical and budget soundness and compliance with donor regulations, recommending award actions to the contract team;
- Coordinate the issuance of awards and maintain contract documentation through the development and upkeep of a small grants database;
- Support grantees throughout implementation on content, messaging, coordination with relevant bodies such as MOCA or NIEC for voter and civic education grants, etc.; and
- Prepare scheduled and special reports, studies and analyses regarding the small grants program.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in management, social science, financial analysis or accounting desirable; Master’s degree preferred;
- At least four (4) years’ professional experience with two (2) years working with Civil Society Organizations and grants development, administration, or proposal writing; preferably in Africa;
- Minimum of two (2) years working in international development;
- Minimum of two (2) years in grants administrative and programmatic design experience
- Solid understanding of donor regulations and procedures pertaining to grants management;
- Demonstrated ability to perform complex tasks and to prioritize multiple projects;
- Ability to analyze technical and cost proposals and prepare reports and recommendations on whether or not applicants should be funded;
- Ability to analyze budget line items for compliance with budget guidelines; and
- Proven records maintenance and database management skills.