Grant Management Accountant
Based in London
Salary circa £45,000 pa (dependent on previous experience)
Relief International is a leading non-profit organisation working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialise in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
We are looking for a Grant Management Accountant who will be an expert in USAID reporting and drawdowns. You will be accountable for maintaining financial oversight of USAID and all other donor financial requirements and obligations. Your role will be to manage all financial aspects of all grants including USAID as well as others such as UN, ECHO and DIFID and to develop procedures and guidelines around financial reporting for these projects. These systems will ensure the organisation is Audit ready at all times. You will be an integral member of the finance team and will be expected to deputise for other team members in their absence.
You will be a qualified accountant with experience of working in a complex finance function gained in the international development sector. You must have a proven ability in dealing with USAID as a priority, together with other institutional donors. Your strong capability in a multi-currency financial environment encompassing budgeting, reporting and foreign currency exposure analysis are essential to this role. Advanced Excel skills are a must and previous experience in using the NetSuite application / other ERP system would be an advantage.
CLOSING DATE: 7 December 2018
Do submit your application immediately if you are interested in this role as we may recruit before the closing date.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV.
Due to limited resources only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please note that to be considered for this role, candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
Relief International is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
Full Terms of Reference
Title: Grant Management Accountant
Department and Location: London, UK (This is a UK-based position and candidates must have the right to work in the UK)
Reports to: Global Financial Controller - UK
Staff reporting to this post: N/a
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises andchronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International’s global support functions are based across our head offices in the United States and the United Kingdom. This geographical mix fosters collaboration and maximizes the resources we are able to deploy for the delivery of services in the countries where we operate. It also means that when you join RI, you will be a member of an integrated global team.
As a UK employee, you may expect to be supervised by or supervise other employees within the global RI Structure. Our office culture, policies, structure and benefit packages will reflect the integrated nature of our global organisation while complying fully with UK laws and regulations.
- The Grant Management Accountant will be accountable for maintaining financial oversight of all donor financial requirements and obligations.
- The Grant Management Accountant will manage the development and implementation of all grants from USAID, UN, ECHO and DIFID. You will be responsible for the Financial Management & Reporting Framework in line with organisations Finance and Management Systems (Netsuite).
- You will be a specialist in USAID projects and will develop procedures and guidelines around financial reporting for these projects.
- You will be an integral member of the finance team and will be expected to deputise for other team members in their absence.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepare and monitor project spends in collaboration with internal stakeholders
- Maintain accurate financial records on all project activities and sub-grants
- Prepare and submit monthly invoices
- You will act as the focal point for any audits and ensure that all information is audit ready at all times.
US Government / USAID
- Prepare and file U.S. government grants quarterly federal financial reports, including project expenditures line item budget vs actual, and submit to respective agency donor websites;
- Prepare U.S. government grants cash advance request and PMS drawdown on a monthly basis or as necessary;
- Provide financial oversight of all USAID financial requirements and obligations;
- Development and implementation of USAID Financial Management & Reporting Framework in line with Finance & Management Systems;
- Development of procedures and guidelines around financial management for USAID projects for core and field activities;
- Training of Finance staff in USAID reporting requirements and templates
Support Regional and Country teams
- Manage inter-company accounts activities between corporate office and country locations.
- Collaborate quarterly review of country office balance sheets accounts and schedules with corporate office accounting manager and regional finance team; provide feedback and support to regional finance team on corrective actions and follow through on recommendations.
- Coordinate monthly close with Regional finance teams and ensure project activities are timely recorded in the appropriate period and supported in the accounting systems
- Serve as liaison between Regional Finance and corporate finance team on resolving project actual expenses reported on budget vs actual reports; follow up on both corrective and preventive actions to remediate future occurrence.
- Collaborate Project Setup activities between Financial System and Grants team; assist with project budget template formation and upload in NetSuite.
- Work with the field and global support office project staff to ensure organisation and donor policies and procedures are adhered to and standard accounting practices are utilised .
- Manage accounts receivables and donor payments accounts; prepare monthly receivables account reconciliation, and follow up on aged receivable accounts with cash management and regional finance teams;
- Support country office finance team as needed for donor and statutory audits, and other donor requests.
- Coordinate with Regional and headquarters finance teams in developing management responses to audit reports, propose action plans to remediate audit findings, and follow up to support implementation and ensure compliance for Global Controller/CFO review.
- Collaborate with Regional Finance and Grants and Contracts team to ensure compliance with Donor requirements as well as ensuring accounting best practices.
- Assist in reviewing donor report Review field financial reports for timely submission, proper recording of transactions and accurate utilization of the chart of accounts, including f in-kind donations
- Facilitate financial close-out of projects at GSO
- Development of report templates to facilitate donor reporting
- Participate in monthly Grants Management calls as a representative of the Finance Department
Essential skills, experience and knowledge
- Qualified Accountant
- A solid background in Financial Policy development within an international NGO
- Knowledge of and experience in working with major donors (e.g. USAID/OFDA, ECHO, DFID, UN agencies etc.). Demonstrated know-how of donor expectations and requirements across the grant cycle
- Substantial experience and understanding in dealing with USAID projects
- Capability in a multi-currency financial environment encompassing budgeting, reporting and foreign currency exposure analysis
- Advanced Excel skills and previous experience in using the NetSuite application / other ERP system would be an advantage.
- Established track record of delivering quality product to tight deadlines and of balancing multiple commitments
- Interact with diplomacy and tact and follow-up on requests in timely and efficient manner.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills to effectively present information, strengthen capacity, respond to questions, and write reports, policies and procedures, and other critical documents.
- Self-motivated, results focused and able to work with minimal supervision
Desirable skills, experience and knowledge
- Experience of working with people from diverse backgrounds, demonstrating respect for, and understanding of, cultural differences
- A willingness to undertake continuing professional development and keep abreast of changes and developments as they impact upon the work of Relief International
- Proficiency and/or working knowledge of a second language (e.g. Arabic) an added advantage
- We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation