About the role
Adam Smith International is one of the UK’s leading providers of technical assistance to defence, security, policing and justice institutions and agencies in developing and conflict affected countries. We are currently delivering complex and politically sensitive projects in Africa, the Middle East and Asia.
The Governance and Stability Practice is seeking an exceptional candidate to provide a programme oversight function and lead large, complex business development initiatives to grow the portfolio, as well as set up and deliver successful projects, often in challenging FCAS environments. The Senior/Principal Manager will:
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop the team’s business strategy and execute it by identifying and tracking opportunities, conducting field research, developing technical methodologies, building expert teams establishing organisational partnerships and combining them into compelling proposals;
- Provide technical oversight of projects by managing teams of subject matter experts, analysing operating contexts, liaising with beneficiaries and donors, assuring the quality of deliverables, and managing risk effectively;
- Continuously strengthen ASI’s reputation for delivery of results by improving capture and communication of results to donors and partners, and by contributing to thought leadership activities within ASI and across the wider sector.
The initial focus of the role will be providing oversight of projects in Somalia and leading exploration of opportunities in Africa and the Middle East.
Adam Smith International seeks the following skills and experiences:
- A postgraduate degree in international development, international relations, political science or other relevant fields from a top-tier university;
- Enthusiasm, flexibility and willingness to travel [including to Mogadishu];
- Outstanding English written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent inter-personal and team management skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
IT skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
10 years’ experience in delivering and overseeing programmes in countering violent extremism, security sector reform, stabilisation or rule of law in FCAS environments;
Significant experience working in FCAS environments; experience in East Africa in general, and Somalia in particular, would be valued, Significant experience of working with UK government departments – FCO, MOD, DFID, Home Office; familiarity with donor markets beyond the UK would be welcomed.
Direct technical experience in a relevant sector would be an advantage;
Demonstrated experience of using initiative, planning and organisation skills, results-focus and working in complex and time-pressured contexts.
What We Offer You
We offer you a dynamic and friendly team environment and the opportunity to work on a highly successful portfolio of programmes. We have a strong commitment to our people and strive to live by our values.
We’ve built a culture to reflect our values, full of likeminded professionals who are smart, passionate and great at what they do. We have a headquarters overlooking the Thames in a central London location.