Under the guidance of the Deputy Resident Representative (DRR), the Governance & Advocacy Programme Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of the Governance and Advocacy portfolio, including the management and expansion of UNDP Bhutan’s partnerships in this area, and overall management, monitoring, quality assurance, and evaluation of the UNDP Bhutan Programme in this area, such that the Country Office targets are met. The Programme Manager leads the portfolio team in strategic planning and identifies new programme areas while ensuring consistency with UNDP Bhutan’s Country Programme Document (CPD) and UN Bhutan’s Sustainable Development Partnership Framework (UNSDPF) priorities and innovative responses to challenges and opportunities.
He/she supervises the portfolio staff and works in close collaboration with other Programme and Operations team, Programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government Officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to successfully implement the UNDP programme.
Under the “Delivering as One” approach, the incumbent plays a substantive role in supporting the mainstreaming and implementation of Agenda 2030, including the Sustainable Development Goals. In this capacity, he/she is responsible for the coordination and alignment of UN assisted activities in the designated area in support of the CPD/One Programme Goal, effective partnership with resident and non-resident UN agencies, and coordination with the Government and other partners, designing and implementing joint programmes and periodic reporting.
Summary of Key Functions
- Implementation of UNDP programme strategies and contribution to the achievement of the CPD and UNSDPF outcomes and outputs in the areas of Governance particularly for Outcome 3.
- Overall management of the designated programme portfolio and supervision of the portfolio team, including taking innovative approaches in design and implementation.
- Development of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy through, among others, joint programming.
- Provision of top-quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of innovation, knowledge management and resource mobilization.
Detailed Job description
As a member of the CO management team, ensures implementation of UNDP Programme Strategies and contribution to the achievement of the CPD and UNSDPF outcomes and outputs in the areas of Governance, particularly for SDG Outcome 3 focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and collaborative preparation/revision of CCA, UNSDPF, CPD, CPAP, AWP and other documents as needed.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within sustainable development outcome 3 with due attention to gender mainstreaming,women empowerment and focus on the vulnerable groups
- Operationalization of UNSDPF/ CPD in collaboration with the main partners and other UN Agencies. Identification of possibilities for joint programming.
- Regular liaison with resident and non-resident agencies on new and emerging programming opportunities. Development of creative solutions to development issues drawing on the comparative strengths of resident and non-resident UN agencies
- Formulation of joint programmes and implementation of resource mobilization activities in support of the UNSDPF goals ensuring that cross-cutting issues are properly addressed.
- CO business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management, control of the workflows in the Programme Unit.
Ensures effective management of the Governance and Advocacy Team focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of programmes, achieving the UNDP Bhutan Country Office Business Plan (COBP) and Integrated Work Plan (IWP) targets, including on resource mobilization and delivery, as well as following results:
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of targets in the Integrated Work Plan and Balanced Score Card and monitoring the achievement of results as well as staffing.
- Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP priorities into local interventions and resulting to resource mobilization. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies in terms of introducing performance indicators/success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Strategic oversight of designing, planning, resource mobilizing, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. Ensure adequate financial delivery on project resources and monitoring ageing of NEX/NIM advances.
- Lead role in planning and organizing joint field visits and assurance activities as well as 4 reviews and evaluations. Effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the CO programme and evaluate the programme environment, for timely readjustment of programme.
- Follow up on CO and programme audit recommendations and timely reporting of all exceptions.
- Prepare aggregate donor reports regularly on activities, outputs and outcomes.
- Oversee the compliance with UNDP cost recovery policy for the services provided by the CO to projects in close collaboration with Operations Manager and programme associates.
- Perform the function of Manager Level 2 in Atlas for transactional approval primarily pertaining to development projects.
Establishes and maintains strategic partnerships and supports the resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes in the areas of governance.
- Development and coordination of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
- Determination of programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UN/UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall CO efforts in resource mobilization
- Operationalization of the UNSDPF/CPD through broad-based partnerships and strategic development interventions. Coordination and alignment of UN-assisted activities in the designated area of support in line with the UNSDPF goals
Ensures provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the success of country programme within specific areas of cooperation. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate.
Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Prince2 training and certification, RMG
Master's Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Law, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in English and Dzongkha.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS & NO categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension