- Provide policy advice and support to the CO management and the Gender Task Force (GTF) on gender related policies and issues;
- Mainstream gender equality into UNDP programme;
- Facilitate knowledge building on gender related issues;
- Create strategic partnerships to build network and support resource mobilization.
- Provision of quality analysis and substantive inputs to the CPD formulation and implementation; as well as formulation of programme and project documents, and policy papers;
- Advice on possible areas for UNDP support and adjustment of on-going programmes to ensure that UNDP programmes are in line with Global and National Gender Equality Strategies;
- Contribution to sub-regional, regional and inter-agency initiatives related to gender issues;
- Representation of UNDP gender capacity in different working groups and interagency working groups;
- Analysis, compilation and interpretation of gender statistical data, thorough research and preparation of quality analysis and reports to inform decision-making;
- Support the GTF in implementation of the CO’s Gender Equality Strategy and Action Plan to it;
- Ensure implementation of the CO Gender Equality Strategy for 2019-2020 and lead development of the next Gender Equality Strategy and its implementation by the CO
- Conduct regular mapping exercise to identify level of gender mainstreaming in the CO programme and operations and suggest recommendations with an action plan to it to constantly improve the level;
- Hold meetings and discussions with the CO staff (Programme, Projects and Operations) to conduct deep analysis and identify entry points on integration of gender mainstreaming across the programme/project interventions;
- Following the results of the analysis and surveys, hold focus (portfolio) group discussions with the programme and project managers, bilateral meetings with staff to support them to mainstream the gender indicators and activities into their projects/Annual Working Plans. Guide the project teams during the implementation of the concrete project initiatives, as appropriate;
- Contribute to the CO annual reporting (ROAR) and project reporting;
- Support and co- implement activities of the CO in formulation and implementation of the stand-alone gender project matching GEN 3 gender marker attribute. Act as a project manager, if needed;
- Contribute to development of ToRs, Project Documents (mostly for GEN3 projects). Conduct gender expertise of the new developing Project Documents. Support project managers of regional GEN3 projects in implementation of activities and liaising with counterparts involved in the implementation;
- Review all external communication materials for gender sensitivity and use of appropriate language;
- Review knowledge products, Project Documents and existing M&E Frameworks to ensure integration of gender issues and that gender equality results are assessed against the priorities of the national Gender Equality Strategy.
- Facilitates knowledge building and mainstreaming of gender in related perspectives within UNDP programmes and actively participates in corporate UNDP knowledge creation;
- Provision of policy options and high-quality advisory inputs to UNDP programmes and projects to ensure these are responsive to national policies, priorities and strategic plans, and advance UNDP's corporate goals;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned;
- In close cooperation with the Learning Team and GTF, conduct regular training for the CO staff;
- Conduct training for project beneficiaries as requested by the project teams;
- Develop and conduct Gender training sessions for all staff, including for new incoming UNDP personnel;
- Support the GTF and communications specialist during the gender-related advocacy campaigns (16 Days of activism, others);
- Support the project staff in implementation of concrete gender-related activities and communications of their results, if/as might be requested;
- Contributes with respective content for the CO’s website and social media.
- Define key gender partners and stakeholders to increase the network, cooperation and explore possible joint fundraising;
- Liaise with the Ministries, National and International institutions within the area of expertise;
- Conduct regular consultations with the other key agencies, UN Women, UNFPA and UNICEF and key national women’s organizations. Attend the quarterly UN County Team Gender Thematic Group meetings;
- Lead monitoring and contribute to implementation of the UN joint initiatives, such as but not limited to EU Spotlight initiatives and other “umbrella” gender-related projects;
- Review possible funding opportunities and support in formulating the proposals.
- The programme and project teams have strong expertise in mainstreaming gender in their designated activities;
- The CO Gender Strategy targets are achieved, gender is mainstreamed in the CPD;
- The gender equality is mainstreamed into programme and operations of the CO, as informed by a solid gap analysis;
- Awareness about the gender equality corporate principles of the CO staff is raised.
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Strong background in development research methodologies with a specific focus on the areas of gender;
- Demonstrable knowledge of facilitating and planning workshops and training of gender related issues;
- Be engaging, innovative and active during presentations;
- Demonstrated analytical and writing skills;
- Excellent interviewing and oral skills;
- Reliability and timeliness in keeping deadlines and delivering high quality products;
- A good team player, with confidence to work with minimum supervision;
- Demonstrated advocacy and communications skills;
- Openness to change and an ability to manage complexity.
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UNDP practice areas;
- Promotes a learning environment in the office;
- Demonstrates strong coaching/mentoring skills, regularly providing helpful feedback and advice to others in the office;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in social or political science, sociology or any related humanitarian or technical field;
- Master’s degree in Gender Studies, Public Administration, Sociology, Politics, or a related field is a great advantage.
- At least 7 years of working experience in/with development programmes/projects (related to gender), and/or experience in organizing and conducting trainings.
- Knowledge of the national gender equality policies;
- Strong analytical, presentation and reporting skills;
- Strong communications and advocacy skills;
- Knowledge of UN/UNDP gender policies is an asset;
- Specialized training/certifications in the related area is an advantage.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Russian languages;
- Knowledge of Kazakh language is preferable.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 12 months (with possible extension)