The Financial Empowerment Center program aims to improve the financial stability of Sacramento households by providing high-quality, one-on-one financial education and counseling to low-income residents. Financial Empowerment Centers are located in areas with high concentrations of poverty and financial distress. The Financial Coach will provide on-going coaching and counseling services to low-income individuals and families in Sacramento. The Financial Coach position will report directly to the Financial Empowerment Center Program Manager within the Financial Empowerment Center Team. The Financial Coach will have an indirect reporting line to the appointed supervisor in each partner agency that houses the Financial Coach.
Conduct one-on-one financial coaching and counseling with clients, including:
Provide financial coaching to a caseload of clients on creating a personal budget, establishing a bank account, taking out loans, and establishing credit, as well as advanced asset building topics, including analyzing credit reports, techniques to build credit, and debt reduction as needed
Assess client needs and develop individual financial action plans with each client
Provide individualized financial counseling sessions (including both initial and follow-up sessions) and achieve client outcomes. Make appropriate referrals and integrate other wraparound supports (i.e. benefits, tax preparation) into counseling to achieve greater results
Lead the implementation of Financial Literacy workshops, including:
- Ensure that all training requirements are met for participants in budgeting, cash management, savings, investment and credit building. Ensure that participants complete required training
- Increase participant knowledge of financial services and credit offerings
- Coordinate with the FEC Team on internal and external outreach to banks and other community members to assist with financial education and coaching.
- Lead outreach events to recruit new clients in financial education programs
- Accurately track participant attendance, data, and follow-up services
Collect, track and report required data using client management database
Successfully complete and pass counselor training, participate in initial trainings and ongoing professional development trainings
Follow required protocol and program requirements
Regularly meet with other FEC sites, staff and the FEC Program Manager
Participate in FEC-wide events and initiatives along with all-staff/program meetings
Maintain relationships with banks and community volunteers
Use FEC Database and ETO as assigned to track client services, outcomes, and metrics
Keep track of and adhere to the program budget throughout the project duration
Other related duties as assigned.
- A baccalaureate degree from a four-year accredited institution strongly preferred
- 2+ years’ experience in client counseling, case management, or coaching is required Professional experience in a financial counseling setting is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of personal finances, particularly in the areas of budgeting, asset building, and credit building
- Demonstrated ability to track and report data/outcomes in a database
- Strong communications skills, both written and oral
- Ability to provide financial counseling/coaching services in a culturally sensitive manner
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable access to an insured vehicle. Must be able to travel regularly throughout the service delivery areas
- Dynamic, committed individual with strong interpersonal skills and a passion for supporting people with low incomes to build greater financial stability
- Solid organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple tasks, set priorities, effectively manage time, and meet deadlines
- Ability to function effectively within protocols and challenges of operating within a high-profile local government program
Standard office work environment combined w/standard classroom setting and some travel throughout service delivery area, particularly to partner agencies who house IRC financial coaches.