The HALO Trust is seeking to recruit a Finance Manager for its Syria programme, currently managed from Amman, Jordan.
The HALO Trust is the world’s largest and oldest international humanitarian Mine Action non-government organisation (NGO). Our mission is to lead the effort to save lives and restore livelihoods for those affected by conflict. HALO is known for its work to clear landmines but is increasingly involved in the disposal of other explosive hazards such as aircraft and cluster bombs, artillery projectiles, rockets and missiles, and improvised explosive devices (IEDs). HALO was established in Afghanistan in 1988 and now employs over 8,000 staff in 25 countries and territories.
HALO’s programme in Syria was established in 2016. It is coordinated from a programme office in Amman, Jordan (17 staff) and a sub-office in Gaziantep, Turkey (1 staff). HALO conducts its project work in Syria through national NGO partners based in Gaziantep. The scope of HALO’s projects in Syria covers ERW Survey and Disposal, Risk Education, and Victim Assistance.
Finance manager responsibilities
- The Finance Manager leads a three-person finance section, responsible for the management of all financial affairs relating to HALO Syria programme business, including leadership and compliance; accounting; cash, payments and banking; payroll, programme/project budget management; and financial reporting and audits. The finance section ensures compliance with HALO’s financial policies and procedures, as well as project donor financial regulations and audit compliance requirements.
- The Finance Manager reports to the Programme Manager, and works directly with the Regional Finance Manager at HALO HQ in the UK. The Finance Manager also works with finance staff from HALO’s national NGO partners and donor organisations.
- HALO uses Microsoft Excel at programme level to manage financial data, feeding into Sage accounting software employed at HALO HQ in the UK.
The Finance Manager’s main duties are:
Leadership and compliance:
- Provide leadership and guidance to finance section staff.
- Act as the programme’s senior financial point of contact, providing compliant, timely and effective advice to the Programme Manager, other programme staff, NGO partners, donors and HALO HQ.
- Ensure programme financial policies and procedures are followed strictly and in compliance with HALO’s Global Finance and Accounting Manual.
- Ensure each donor’s audit compliance requirements are adhered to, and periodic updates are reported to the Programme Manager and the Regional Finance Manager based in HALO HQ. Instances of Non Compliance are reported immediately.
- Develop and maintain any required programme financial policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to ensure operational efficiency, liaising with the Regional Finance Manager at HALO HQ.
- Oversee programme procurement procedures to ensure compliance and value for money.
- Supervise the work of subordinate finance staff to ensure all transactions are recorded properly and bookkeeping is up-to-date.
- Check purchase vouchers (PVs) and review monthly financial accounts prior to submitting to HALO HQ.
Cash, payments and banking:
- Manage programme office cash flow, monitor and forecast cash requirements for the programme, and ensure timely cash replenishment from HALO HQ.
- Supervise the payroll preparation work of subordinate finance staff to ensure project donor funding allocations are accurate, and calculations for salary, income tax, social security and other government charges are correct.
Programme/project budget management:
- Lead on the use of HALO’s Budgeting System (Adaptive Insights) for the HALO Syria programme, and help train subordinates on the system, in country.
- Lead financial planning for the programme office, including development, management and reporting of the programme office budget.
- Conduct programme financial analysis to identify discrepancies and resolve any issues or funding gaps.
- Lead the preparation, implementation, management and reporting of project-specific budgets, including the financial performance of national NGO partners and expenditure compliance in accordance with project donor requirements.
- Closely monitor, assist and advise NGO partners on project financial matters, and proactively update the Programme Manager and the Regional Finance Manager at HALO HQ on financial performance and any associated risks.
- Advise the Regional Finance Manager at HALO HQ of all new concepts and proposals, to enable HALO HQ to monitor HALO’S overall Business Plan.
Financial reporting and auditing:
Lead the preparation of financial statements, project donor financial reports, and payment requests submitted to donors and/or HALO HQ.
Lead preparation for internal and external audits, and assist HALO HQ Finance with required documentations for audits conducted at HALO HQ. Further details can be found on The HALO Trust careers page.