Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since the 1950s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined the programmes of SC UK, SC Canada and SC Finland to create a single operation in Kenya. In Feb 2014, we completed a second transition, which saw us join forces with the British INGO, Merlin, and merge their health and nutrition programmes with our own. Save the Children now has an operational presence in Bungoma, Dadaab Refugee Camp, Garissa, Mandera, Turkana and Wajir and w e work through partners in many other parts of the country. In total, we employ around 184 staff and had an operating annual budget in 2019 of approximately US$ 12.4 million. In 2016, Save the Children established a new project office in Madagascar whose operations the Kenya CO manages.
The jobholder has overall responsibility of the Financial Accounts function, and partly support the budgeting and Reporting function. The position holder will also deputise the Head of Finance. They will also be responsible for ensuring best in class financial controls and management at field office level – including capacity building; implementing efficient & effective processes; improving and ensuring compliance with internal control systems.
Contract Duration: 1 Year.
Location: Nairobi (with up to 15% travel to field locations)
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Financial systems and procedure
* Assist the Head of Finance in ensuring smooth implementation and updating of robust and adequate financial systems and procedures in line with SCIs finance Policy and good accounting practices.
* Develop and update the finance diary that covers all the required activities on a monthly basis and lead staff to ensure that the diary is strictly adhered to.
* Ensure that all financial transactions are fully supported and that they are all captured in AGRESSO on a daily basis; make sure that regular backups are taken and stored off site.
* Prepare monthly and quarterly financial diaries for both AGRESSO and sub-office finance systems and ensure its strict adherence to the HQ deadlines.
* Maintain and ensure the integrity of the SCI’ computerized accounting systems and liaising with Regional Finance Team for any required support
Financial records and transactions
* Carry out sensibility and control checking before and after posting sub-office transactions into AGRESSO.
* Follow up HQ transactions from London and make sure that all are processed in the time and accurately.
* Responsible for timely, accurate and efficient financial reporting (both electronic and manual field returns) to head office.
* Responsible for ensuring that reconciliation of balance sheet/control accounts are carried out on monthly basis and ensuring that year-end accounting procedure are met consistently and that any discrepancies are reported to the Head of Finance.
Financial and system controls
* Ensure safe security of cash in the office and coordinate weekly and monthly cash counts, including spot counts
* Ensure that systems are put in place to assure document security for a complete audit trail from the AGRESSO records to supporting documentation and vice versa.
* Ensure the effective and efficient use of all Save the Children resources in order to keep costs low and ensure the security of staff.
* Ensure payroll is completed on time and accurately, with robust controls in place.
Financial Planning and Reporting
* Ensure that effective systems are in place, and regularly reviewed, to allow adequate financial management and controls in budgeting and reporting unit.
* Ensure smooth implementation of SCI financial management and budgeting policies and procedures
* Ensure correct level of budget authority exists within Country Office and update scheme of delegation regularly.
* Provide support in preparing proposal budget and review processes, ensuring all staffing and office shared cost is budgeted as per updated Kenya programme NTC rate and CAM calculator
* Responsible for preparing the organisational master budget, phasing, forecasting and assist Head Of Finance to consolidate, review and making budget commentary
* Coordinate and train field offices finance and non finance staffs to budget accurately their operational costs and provide their budgets timely for consolidation.
* Work closely with Awards team to ensure budgets, KPIs are being monitored and spending occurs as planned and that variances are anticipated, noted, and corrected;
* Ensure accurate and timely submission of awards financial reports as per donor requirement to awards unit and government regulatory agencies
* Keep track of all staffing and non-thematic office cost operation required budget and gap
* Ensure DEAs have been created and CAM mapping has been done on time as per donor financial reporting and budget holders requirements
* Respond to RO queries regarding monthly variances and submit monthly commentary
* Ensure smooth upload SOF budgets into Agresso and ensure they are phased according to updated project workplan and our master budget after receiving from awards unit.
* Lead on annual statutory audits and the financial component of donor audits. Key focus on proactive financial controls, management and supporting documentation in order to ensure 0 disallowances.
* Keep track of statutory and donor specific audit requirements and coordinate closely with awards to initiate required audits on time.
* Lead in managing audit process with External Auditors ensuring smooth audit and provide all documents required by Auditors as and when needed
* Ensure proper soft and hard archiving system is in place in finance as per SCI policies and procedures
* Plan and conduct internal audits for all Sub recipients and field offices with the coordination of the Internal Auditor
* Participate in Audit Entry and Exit meetings and ensure recommendations have implemented before the next audit.
Staff Leadership, Mentorship, and Development
* Ensure appropriate staffing and efficient & effective organisation design within the Financial Accounting Function.
* Ensure that all staff understand and are empowered to perform their role.
* Manage team; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly.
* Recruitment, training, and professional development of team as part of the wider staff development strategy.
* Performance Management of direct reports.
Qualifications and Experience
* BA Degree in Finance and Accounting, Business Administration, or other relevant discipline.
* Chartered Accountant (CPA, ACMA, ACA, ACCA) strongly recommended.
* Minimum of 5 years management experience in a corporate, audit firm or an NGO environment, of which three at a middle management level within a finance department.
* Strategic mindset with the ability to lead, inspire and achieve results in a challenging context
* Strong team player
* Excellent inter-personal skills and able to communicate with diverse set of stakeholders
* Strong analytical, decision making and strategic planning skills with the ability articulate complex information in an easy to understand manner
* Solutions focused with ability to identify weaknesses and drive continuous improvement
* Ability to prioritise, plan ahead, and manage a complex and diverse workload with tight deadlines
* Ability to coach, mentor, delegate appropriately and provide developmental guidance to supervised staff.
* Self-starter who is willing to go the extra mile to get the job done
* Excellent understanding of business and financial planning including strategic modelling.
* Excellent understanding of financial systems, controls and procedures.
* Excellent understanding of computerised accounts packages, Excel, PowerPoint and Word
* A full appreciation of the value of co-operation, both internationally and within a team environment.
* Understanding of Save the Children’s vision, mission, and a commitment to its objectives and values.
* Written and verbal fluency in English
* 4 years within the NGO / charities sector or Audit firm
* Experience of working in an emergency context.
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process, nor request for medical examination or records and does not act through recruitment agents whatsoever.