- Ensure implementation of operational strategies and procedures
- Provide accounting, finance and administrative support
- Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures implementation of operational strategies and procedures, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of financial processes and financial records with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Provision of inputs to elaboration of workplans.
Provide accounting and administrative support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assistance in proper control of the supporting documents for payments, financial reports, procure-to-pay, records to report and payment execution;
- Processing of financial documentation (vouchers, supporting documents, telephone invoices, etc.) and maintaining internal expenditures control system by ensuring that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; travel claims, monthly payment orders (MPOs) and other entitlements are duly processed;
- Proper receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals;
- Provision of information for reports on financial status, procedures, exchange rates, costs and expenditures, and potential funding problems;
- Follow-up with customers for information relating to payments;
- Preparation of routine correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports in accordance with the SOP;
- Extracting, inputting, copying and filing data from various sources;
- Maintenance of the proper filing system for financial records and documents.
Support knowledge building and sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on Finance;
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
- Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, regulations, and policies and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
- Ability to collect and compile data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
- Ability to plan, coordinate and organise workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Accurately accumulating information and its analysis; forecasting potential problems and planning; allowing for alternative, creative solutions and identifying most reasonable solutions
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and/or Finance;
- University degree in Finance or Accounting desirable;
- Part-qualified accountants from an internationally accredited institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant experience with Secondary Education or 1 year with Bachelor’s degree in accounting and/or financial management, preferably in an international setting;
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS required for external candidates.
- Fluency in English is a requirement;
- Knowledge of any other UN languages (French/Spanish/Arabic/ Russian/Mandarin) is a plus.
- Experience in the usage of computers and MS Office packages;
- Knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft;
- Experience of IPSAS or public accounting principles.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension