1. Ensures backstop and support in the implementation of operational and financial management strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up; implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- CO finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
- Compilation of inputs for implementation of cost-saving and reduction strategies in consultation with the office management.
- Preparation of cost sharing and trust fund agreements, follow up on contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts.
2. Ensures support in the administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support in the preparation and modifications of budgets for UNDP management projects, follow-up with HQs on ASL for management projects.
- Support in the presentation of researched information for planning and status of financial resources of the CO.
- Sending project budget to KK if authorized by the Senior Management (can be done only on the basis of signed prodocs and project budgets).
- Timely preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided by UNDP, implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery.
3. Provides accounting and administrative support to the Finance Unit and backstops performance of Global payroll functions focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for NIM/DIM projects; preparation of all types of vouchers; Pay Cycle and payments execution.
- Proper receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals.
- Approval of vendors in Atlas (if a senior member of the Finance team is unavailable).
- Global payrolls processing in Atlas in lieu of senior finance associate.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared and processed; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed
- Support to timely accounts closure.
- Contribute to timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Identify corrective actions on erroneous data in Atlas. Preparation of financial reports as required and delegated by senior colleagues.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects and follow-up with partners on contributions, deposits creation in Atlas and their application to AR pending items.
- Timely support to VAT reimbursements, payment of GLOC by the Government.
4. Ensures delegated support of proper CO cash management functioning focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Support the daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Provide inputs and conducts research in the preparation of monthly UN exchange rate report to Treasury.
- Support the timely and accurate preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Support to the timely preparation of monthly cashflow forecast for use by Operations Manager
- Liaison with UN Agencies counterparts to obtain estimate of their cash requirement.
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals in Atlas as delegated by supervisor
5. Support facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Logistical support in the organization of trainings for the operations/projects staff on Finance.
- Contributes to compilation and synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in financial management.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks (specialized knowledge related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, reporting).
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Maintains databases
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Secondary Education, with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- University Degree in Finance, Business or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Part-qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- UNDP Accountancy & Finance Test / Certification
- 5 years of progressively responsible finance and accounting experience is required. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS required
- Fluency in English and Spanish
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension