World Concern is a US-based Christian global disaster response and sustainable community development agency. The love of Jesus Christ compels us to pursue reconciliation and physical transformation by extending opportunities to people facing the most profound human challenges of extreme poverty. We serve over 7 million people in 13 countries, focusing on health, nutrition, food security, protection, clean water and sanitation and disaster response.
Position: Finance/Administration Manager
Reports To: Myanmar Country Director
Supervises: Finance Coordinator, Admin Officer,
Contract Length: One Year Renewable
Purpose: Guided by World Concern’s global strategic plan, the Finance/Admin Manager (FAM) provides leadership and direction to World Concern Myanmar in the areas of financial management, forecasting, budgeting, accounting, reporting and analysis, compliance, administration and procurement. The FAM oversees all financial and administrative systems and procedures to ensure transactions are compliant, accurate, timely, and informative. The FAM especially ensures that complicated processes that involve multiple departments like are well-planned and executed, and that staff capacities are developed for these processes. Complicated processes include budgeting processes for locations with multiple projects, staff salary coverage, time use planning, and budgetary processes for consortia budgets.
The FARHM provides relevant and practical financial and administrative reports to the Country Director and all management team members to enable effective leadership of the Myanmar Country Program, and to ensure financial leadership, reporting, and compliance are aligned with donor requirements and World Concern’s strategic plan and objectives.
Serve on the Myanmar leadership team and participate in discussion concerning projects, financial, HR and administrative decisions.
Identify and propose improvements and modifications to the financial management and budget follow-up. Make recommendations for remediation of any identified problems and follow up to assess results.
Provide training and mentoring to staff on World Concern financial policies and procedures, financial best practices and effective internal controls.
Manage and supervise the performance of finance staff and head of admin.
Finance & Accounting
Responsible for reviewing and submitting all financial reports to the Myanmar Country Director and Asia Regional Finance Director, meeting the required monthly deadlines.
Review Cash requests from the projects and provide monthly cash request to Asia Regional Finance Director and World Concern Seattle, meeting required deadlines.
Oversee forecasting and budgeting operations for World Concern Myanmar by organizing and controlling the budgeting process for the World Concern Myanmar office. Provide support to the Program teams, Country Director and Asia Regional Finance Director in the preparation of the budgets for new projects submission to institutional donors.
Respond to financial queries from donors and oversee submission of all financial reports as required. Maintain and manage the donor financial reports and monitoring report tracking schedule. Verify all grant financial reports reconcile with World Concern cumulative project financial reports.
Review the reconciliations of all balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis and ensure timely completion.
Manage the following revenue projection in an accurate, complete and timely manner for World Concern Myanmar to maximize coverage of organizational costs by donor grants and application of RD and unrestricted funds towards growth opportunities – and that Management (CD, SLT) has regular, accurate data to guide related decisions:
Long Term Pro-forma: use a tool that will project revenue and expenses for the various programs. Analyze date and present recommendations to leadership
Short Term Pro-forma: use the analysis from the projected revenue and expenses to recommend future budget planning.
Review and analyze World Concern monthly financial statements and report the financial status of the organization to the Myanmar management team on a monthly basis.
Assist Country Director and Program Managers in analyzing variance reports, recommending adjustments and advising on program management decisions as necessary.
Review journal entries and complete any adjusting entries as necessary, including but not limited to, time and effort allocation entries.
Assist Finance Coordinator in guiding counseling the activities of the accountants and cashiers of World Concern Myanmar. Provide support in trouble-shooting situations, regarding day to day financial operations and training as needed.
- Make sure all financial documents are in compliance with the requirements for supporting documentation, following World Concern financial procedures. Ensure all additional documents are obtained and procedures required by U.S. government grants or other donor requirements are followed as applicable.
- Supervise and coordinate both internal and external auditing requirements for the Myanmar Office and field offices. Provide requested documentation to the WC headquarters office for the organization’s annual audit, meeting deadlines as stipulated.
- Liaise with external auditors as required and assist with the completion of the management letter to WC senior management team.
- Perform an internal audit function to ensure financial, admin and HR transactions and processes comply with policies and donor requirements. This includes conducting compliance focused monitoring visits. Prepare monitoring and corrective action plans after each monitoring visit. Provide follow up training as necessary.
- Review, existing and develop, implement and administer policies and procedures necessary for the effective financial operations throughout World Concern Myanmar as approved by Country Director and Asia Area Finance Manager.
- Comply with local legal requirements by studying requirements, enforcing adherence to requirements, filing reports and advising the Country Director on needed actions.
Manage and coach admin staff with explicit goal of capacity development.
Develop systems that ensure key accountabilities in procurement and Admin are coordinated, achieved, and that progress is summarized in a way that keeps everyone on track and enables reflection on progress and learning.
Act as a part of the WCM team that reviews and sets policy, leads retreats, and engages in strategy development and implementation.
Oversees Administrative tasks in the Country Office which includes but is not limited to visa processing, MoU approvals, meeting government requirements, and rent.
Required Education, Skills & Experience:
- Understand, articulate and support WCM vision, mission, core identity and values.
- Proven ability to communicate and relate well across departments and in diverse settings.
- Degree in business administration or similar field with strong background in accounting, or a Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy with proven competencies in financial management.
- Five (5) years accounting/financial management experience in a business and/or non-profit organization, with at least three in a leadership role, including oversight of staff, budget development & management and internal control/systems management.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write, and speak English at an advanced level.
- Working knowledge of accounting software packages and Microsoft Office.
- Must have problem solving capabilities; be able to work independently while staying aligned with the culture and strategic direction of the organization.
- Work efficiently and professionally with a variety of personality types.
- Willing to frequently travel to project areas
- Available for at least a two-year commitment.
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience:
- Grant Compliance and Governance, including U.S., EU and Australian Government grants.
- Licensed as a Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and train others in small group settings.
- Requires frequent travel to different project areas in Myanmar and occasional travel within the Asia region.
- Urban living conditions with exposure at times to challenging living conditions.