Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator Team Leader, the UN Coordination Specialist strengthens capacity of the UN Country Team, analyzes political, social and economic trends and provides inputs to preparation of country programming products including the Common Country Assessment (CCA) and United Nations Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAFs) in a flexible and effective manner, to support the national strategies setting, provides assistance to development and implementation of the collaborative and joint programmes and monitors progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Global Conferences, provides support to agencies without field representation to access national systems and for national counterparts to access the expertise of agencies without field representation. The UN Coordination Specialist works in close collaboration with UNCT members, programme and operations teams of the Agencies, UNSDG and UNDCO staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful implementation of UNCT activities.
ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS
Provides policy guidance and support to RC based on analysis of development and political trends and their possible impact on UN work.
- Through analysis and research of political, social and economic situation in country, advise on developments having consequences for UN agencies’ work and priorities.
- Facilitation of assessments and other analytical work to help determine UNCT strategy and priorities, reflecting the overall framework of UNDAF and SDG’s.
- Monitor relevant developments in the General Assembly and within the peace and security departments of the United Nations HQ.
Provides effective support to UNCT in implementation of country programming processes and products, including CCA, UNDAF and UN joint programmes.
- Assists on secretarial support to the UNDAF Interagency Groups and Task Forces ensuring full participation UN Agencies, and the dialogue with the Government, civil society, multilateral and bilateral institutions.
- Contributes on the coordination, planning and participation in UN joint annual review of development results.
- Identification of strengths and weaknesses in UN Agencies programmes in the context of UNDAF, UN System reform and SDG’s. Contributes to the provision of advice on adjusting strategies and implementation modalities, cost-effective and efficient implementation of joint UN programmes, common services and other UN functions.
- Contributes to the development of strategies, policies and programmes in close consultation with UN Agencies aimed at reaching the SDG’s and implementation of the 2030 Agenda.
Contributes to effective management of RCO and its staff.
- Supports the work of the UN Coordination Office, a team of staff members working in inter-agency coordination, donor coordination, joint programming under the overall guidance of the Resident Coordinator and the United Nations Development Coordination Office (UNDCO) and based on the RC Annual Work Plan, and UNDAF.
- Assists in partnership building and strategic interaction with national partners, donor aid agencies, civil society and the private sector, adhering to UN principles and values.
- Assists the coordination of RCO workflow, providing substantive/technical guidance to RC Office staff as necessary.
- Supports the management of human resource and recruitment processes for RCO.
- Supoorts the Team Leader in overseeing the day to day Operations of the RCO and establish and implement adequate internal controls to ensure the integrity of financial transactions, apply rules and regulations and report consistently.
Ensures preparation and implementation of the RC/UNCT Work Plan.
- Coordination of the RC/UNCT Work Plan, reports and proposals for funding preparation.
- Provision of substantive and secretarial support to the UNCT periodic meetings.
- Coordination of substantive preparations and support provided for strategic planning UNCT retreats.
- Monitoring of the Support to the Resident Coordinator (SRC) fund and other funds dedicated to UNCT activities. Approval of expenditures reports.
Ensures effective advocacy of UN activities in close consultation with UNIC and the information / communication focal points of the UNCG.
- Ensure maintenance of the systematic information on RC system activities.
- Supports the implementation of the outreach strategy for partners of the UN system.
- Coordinate the management of media and communication strategies of the UNCT, in close consultation with the UNCG.
- Coordinate the preparation of speakers notes, talking points, speeches for major advocacy events of the Resident Coordinator system, in close consultation with the UNCT and partners.
Supports the creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy for UNDAF implementation.
- Contributes to the development of partnerships with government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society.
- Coordination of the substantive preparations of the UNCT for key fora and events in close consultation with appropriate counterparts in government, bilateral and multilateral partners.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management.
- Identification of sources of information related to coordination. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to country policy goals.
- Identification of national policies and institutions that require strengthening to ensure effective UNDAF implementation and provision of advice in close consultation with UNCT.
- Coordinate the analysis and research of information on different topics, preparation of substantive briefs and national development strategies, provision of advice to UN RC on ensuring synchronicity, alignment and complementarity between these strategies and UN activities.
- Provide guidance to establishment of systems for agencies without field representation to access national institutions and processes and for national partners to access the expertise of agencies without field representation.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Coordinate organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination issues.
Preparing information for advocacy:
Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
Building Strategic Partnerships:
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UN’s Goals:
PC AND SOFTWARE
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in English and Spanish.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 8 Meses
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel
UN career subscription. Get new vacancies and internships daily on your phone.Subscribe now