The Employment Specialist is responsible for managing the provision of services to assist refugee, asylee, and SIV clients to attain self-sufficiency through employment. Specifically, the Employment Specialist provides services that include employment preparation, placement, career enhancement, and follow-up services. The Employment Specialist operates under close supervision with moderate latitude for the use of independent judgment and initiative. This position is funded on a temporary basis and reports to the Employment Supervisor in the Employment Department.
Major Responsibilities: Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Providing intake, assessment, and pre-employment/job readiness orientation to clients eligible for employment services.
- Developing comprehensive employment plans for each employable adult.
- Providing both group and one-on-one job readiness orientations that provide clients with the basic skills required to enhance their employability.
- Developing and cultivating long-term relationships with area employers in order to identify appropriate employment opportunities for clients.
- Determining specific employment opportunities appropriate to clients and assisting clients in accessing these opportunities by guiding them through the hiring process.
- Monitoring job performance, wage level, and employer/employee satisfaction.
- Assisting clients and employers as necessary with post-placement issues and continuing employment needs.
- Ensuring timely and accurate compliance to reporting requirements, ensuring compliance, and maintaining accurate case files.
- Coordinating interpretation and maintaining communication with clients, responding to client inquiries over the phone and in person.
- Communicating client updates to caseworkers and other departments as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work Experience: Related professional work or internship experience in refugee social services, humanitarian relief, public service, or other not-for profit environment. A minimum of one year of professional work experience.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Detail-oriented with the proven ability to meet deadlines, communicate effectively across departments, and demonstrate a positive attitude.
- Can work well in stressful situations, reliable, and professional.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and with using online client management portals.
- Demonstrated experience with the US job search process and the ability to coach effectively clients through the nuanced process of securing employment.
- Excellent communication skills, with fluency in written and spoken English; bilingual ability in one of the predominant languages of the local client base is a plus.
- Self- starter with excellent problem solving skills combined with the proven ability to multi-task, prioritize duties, and manage time effectively; contributing both independently and as a key team member.
Language Skills: Fluent in English, both spoken and written. Knowledge of one of the predominant languages of the local client base is a plus.
Certificates or Licenses: Valid driver’s license, access to reliable vehicle with current insurance, and the ability to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area which includes escorting clients to interviews, trainings, etc.
Working Environment*:* Standard office work environment. Occasional need for work outside of traditional business hours. Ability to lift 25-30 lbs.