Starting date: February 2020
Contract duration: 6 months with possibility of extension
Country Program: Syria Response
Base: Erbil, Iraq with potential relocation to Syria
Line Manager:Area Programs Director
About People in Need
PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities and IDPs. PIN’s contribution to the overall Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $35 million. The major donors are: ECHO, OFDA, FFP, SDC and DFID.
As People in Need’s Northern Syria portfolio continues to grow, PIN is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic humanitarian professional to take on the role of Emergency/Shelter NFI Programme Manager (ESPM). The ESPM will play a vital role within the Senior Management Team, leading PIN’s emergency programme team to deliver timely and appropriate emergency assistance to those most vulnerable. Managing an in-kind and cash-based emergency response portfolio covering WASH, Shelter sectors across OFDA funding, the EPM will likewise lead PIN’s contributions to a coordinated Rapid Response Mechanism under a large consortium grant with three other NGOs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure quality and timely implementation of PIN’s Emergency Response and Shelter NFI activities in Northern Syria;
- Provide technical guidance in Emergency Response and Shelter NFI programme design and implementation and support the development of relevant tools, SOPs and technical standards;
- Oversee the development and regular updating of implementation and emergency response plans;
- Oversee the development and regular updating of budget forecasts and monitor the spending;
- Review and approve key project documentation;
- Take a lead in implementing rigorous control mechanisms for emergency response and shelter NFI activities;
- Regularly liaise with the MEAL team to develop and update the MEAL plan, participate in the development and supervision of rapid assessments, monitoring surveys, evaluations;
- Ensure with the Area Program Director that the capacity of national staff and team resilience, to changing context and subsequent changes in management arrangements, is built
- Work closely with other sectors particularly FV, Cash and WASH to identify possible synergies;
Requirements and Contractual Conditions
Knowledge and experience:
- At least 3 year’s professional experience within a humanitarian and/or development organization;
- Proven experience in humanitarian assistance in complex emergencies;
- Strong grasp of all stages of programme cycle management and quality standards in humanitarian programming, including safeguarding and accountability mechanisms;
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English, Arabic is a significant advantage
- Proven ability to work in a diverse and multi-cultural team environment, with appropriate sensitivity to social and cultural norms;
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts would be an advantage.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- This position is an unaccompanied position. The position is based in Erbil with week-long visits to Syria on a monthly basis.
- Erbil accommodation is in a PIN Guesthouse with individual guestrooms and shared bathroom, living room and kitchen. Individual rooms are also available in Syria in the office/guesthouse. All sites have internet.
- General security situation in Erbil is generally good and there is potential for a good social life with many restaurants, bars and gyms and a large expat community.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and PIN's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
People in Need offers:
- Salary as per PIN salary scale (per diems included): 2.900 EUR;
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work, plus R&R benefits according to PIN’s policy;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance.