- Provide strategic and timely advice to MEC and CMD on steps to ensure more women and specified others seek political party nominations for the 2019 tripartite election;
- Develop plans to engage women, youth and people with disabilities and others who have been traditionally marginalized to encourage and empower them to seek political party nominations;
- Undertake research and broad consultations with political parties and others on roadblocks to participation in Malawi
- Develop baselines and targets for enlarged participation (candidates for nominations);
- Provide technical support to the implementation of the Elections Project
- Develop training of trainers strategies, approaches and methodologies focusing on engagement and empowerment of potential women, youth and PWD candidates;
- Develop TORs for contracted experts/others and assess proposals;
- Provide periodic updates and briefing notes as required;
- Lead the project team in the design, development and implementation of activities related to promoting political participation and inclusion of women, youth and PWDs as potential candidates and leaders;
- Ensure the preparation and quality assurance of monthly, quarterly, and annual progress and financial reports and briefings as agreed with donor partners, the diplomatic community, delegations and other stakeholders as directed by the PM and CTA;
- Coordinate effectively with UN Women CO , the elections project technical comiiteee and partners supporting the implementation of the project and ensure adequate monitoring and reporting;
- Ensure that appropriate monitoring and evaluation mechanisms are in place and used effectively for the assurance of both quality and delivery.
- Provide advice, support and assistance to MEC, political parties, potential candidates and others partners;
- Prepare a capacity development plan, taking into consideration the need of the potential candidates, political parties, and others as appropriate;
- Recommend and develop strategies to enhance and maintain communication with stakeholders including political parties, the media, civil society and donor partners;
- Promote and supervise capacity development in consultation with UN Women and the Elections CTO.
- Monitor and document the experiences and achievements of capacity development initiatives in supporting women, youth and PWD nomination through political parties’ structures and processes as well as through other partnerships;
- Recommend and ensure the application of national and international best-practice in the subject areas and generate knowledge-based products, drawing on global, regional and thematic policy and advisory support resources within the UN, UN Women and UNDP, iKnow Politics and others;
- Lead the analytical development work of the team and ensure high quality knowledge products on women’s political participation. Ensure the substantive quality of all knowledge products, reports and services, and ensure effective integration and compatibility with other practice areas;
- Disseminate information on international best practices and be an active member of global and regional networks.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Substantive knowledge and understanding of gender and development ie. Gender equality and women empowerment with an emphasis on the provision of coordinated support and management of strategic programmes to advance gender equality and women’s rights
- Strong knowledge of programme formulation and implementation and Results Based Management
- Strong knowledge of monitoring and evaluation, evaluation design, data collection and analysis, and reporting
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports
- Strong analytical and report writing skills
- Good knowledge of UN programme management systems
- A minimum requirement is a Master’s degree in Political Science, Economics, Public Administration or its equivalent.
- Candidate should have at least 5 years of experience in management of electoral projects, including institutional analysis and design, strategic management and coordination and monitoring and evaluation.
- Strong understanding of the role of gender in governance processes.
- Excellent analytical and reporting skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with people of different races, creeds, cultures and religions.
- Fluency in English.
Important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension