IFES is currently implementing a project in Malawi to improve electoral security, especially through early-warning/early-response mechanisms, and to build the capacity of the electoral management body. The Election Management Program Advisor will oversee the design, implementation, evaluation and synergy of all IFES’ programmatic interventions in Malawi in line with approved and future proposals, budgets, workplans and performance monitoring plans. The Election Management Program Advisor will provide management, leadership and support to IFES’ Malawi program team.Job Responsibilities:
- Serve as the local technical lead on project implementation, research support, and liaising with Malawi Election Commission (MEC), local stakeholders, partners, the international and donor community.
- Provide targeted application of her/his expertise in electoral matters to build the understanding and capacity of civil society, judicial and electoral management stakeholders, and facilitate trainings and follow-up support activities.
- Oversee the implementation, design, quality and synergy of all IFES Malawi activities and results.
- Support election-related conflict mediation activities and provide programmatic guidance on this topic.
- Ensure effective implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmatic activities in line with approved objectives and budgets.
- Coordinate with IFES HQ to ensure prioritization and effective handling of all matters of technical input, project planning, procurement, compliance, finance, and branding.
- Be responsible for management of the field office.
- Support programmatic development and fundraising efforts.
- Draft regular and timely programmatic reports to IFES HQ.
- Liaise and coordinate with IFES partners to ensure successful joint work and collaboration.
- Represent IFES in various forums, including in meetings with donors and other implementing partners.
- Other duties as assigned.Qualifications:
SKILLS and SPECIFICATIONS
Ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines.
Ability to oversee complex programs with limited supervision.
Ability to build and maintain constructive donor relationships and networks
Business awareness and understanding of budget management.
Excellent communication and presentation skills.
Demonstrable skill in institutional capacity building.
Ability to work collaboratively and cooperate.
Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness.
Conduct himself/herself/themselves with integrity and function ethically.
Ability to manage staff and work with senior management.
Excellent knowledge and experience in Malawi and understanding of its electoral, political, media and civil society landscape.
Ability and skills to promote and inspire effective collaboration between individuals.
Strong interpersonal and communications skills to meet the diverse technical and managerial requirements.
Education and Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in relevant field.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience working with international nongovernmental organizations.
- Professional experience working with and building the capacity of electoral management bodies, preferably in Africa.
- Professional experience in electoral security support and conflict mediation preferred.
- Professional experience and knowledge in the democracy and governance field, understanding of electoral administration and reform will be considered favorably.
- Experience working with civil society partner organizations.
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining relationships with donors.
- Professional experience and knowledge in managing components of international development programming for funders such as USAID.
- Proficiency in Word, Power point, Outlook and Excel.
LANGUAGE SKILLS:** Fluency in written and spoken English.
TRAVEL: Travel may be required.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:** Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
“All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
IFES is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor”