UNDP Afghanistan Mission Statement:
UNDP supports stabilization, state-building, governance and development priorities in Afghanistan. UNDP support, in partnership with the Government, the United Nations system, the donor community and other development stakeholders, has contributed to institutional development efforts leading to positive impact on the lives of Afghan citizens. Over the years, UNDP support has spanned such milestone efforts as the adoption of the Constitution; Presidential, Parliamentary and Provincial Council elections; institutional development through capacity-building to the legislative, the judicial and executive arms of the state, and key ministries, Government agencies and commissions at the national and subnational levels. UNDP has played a key role in the management of the Law and Order Trust Fund, which supports the Government in developing and maintaining the national police force and in efforts to stabilize the internal security environment. Major demobilization, disarmament and rehabilitation and area-based livelihoods and reconstruction programmes have taken place nationwide. UNDP Programmes in Afghanistan have benefited from the very active support of donors. UNDP Afghanistan is committed to the highest standards of transparency and accountability and works in close coordination with the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan and the UN system as a whole to maximize the impact of its development efforts on the ground.
The UN Electoral Support Project (UNESP) is the international community’s programming vehicle to support the next elections in Afghanistan, including the parliamentary and district council elections announced by the Independent Election Commission (IEC) for 7 July 2018. The project has two overall objectives – 1) to build the capacity of the Afghan electoral institutions (the Independent Elections Commission and the Electoral Complaints Commission) to implement elections in line with the national electoral legal framework and Afghanistan’s international commitments; 2) to allow a programming mechanism for the international community to partially finance the elections as per the request of the Government of Afghanistan. The project follows previous UN projects in support of the Afghan electoral process, most notably the Enhancing Legal and Electoral Capacity for Tomorrow (ELECT) projects, from 2006-2011 (ELECT I) and 2012-2015 (ELECT II), and the UNDP Project Initiation Plan that is in place since July 2015 – December 2017. The UNESP places the UN’s electoral support to Afghanistan directly under the political and supervisory oversight of the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA), and reflects the growing sustainability of the Afghan electoral process, as evidenced by the Government of Afghanistan’s financial commitment to both electoral institutions, and the provision of significant in-kind support to the implementation of elections. The Project Board, under the overall political guidance of the UNAMA Deputy Special Representative for Political, will be co-chaired by UNAMA Deputy Special Representative for Political and the Chairpersons of the IEC and ECC or their delegates depending on the agenda item under discussion. It will be comprised of all key stakeholders to oversee and approve UNESP’s budget, annual working plans and policy in support of the Afghan electoral institutions. Project implementation support will be provided by UNDP Country Office, reporting, on fiduciary and operational matters, to the UNAMA Deputy Special Representative for Development/ UN Resident Coordinator/ UNDP Resident Representative through the UNDP Country Director.
Along with support to both electoral institutions, UNESP will also support Afghan civil society’s civic and voter education and observation efforts to enhance the quality and quantity of participation in the electoral process. Overall, the project will have three outputs: (i) administration of credible elections is facilitated by the meeting of key IEC structural and planning milestones; (ii) Credible electoral dispute resolution is provided by the Electoral Complaints Commission (ECC) (iii) public outreach (along with support to civil society) to encourage citizen engagement in the electoral process. Mainstreaming of gender throughout the project is evident in key output indicators related to women’s participation in all three project outputs, reflecting the importance that UNESP places on increasing the position of women in Afghan electoral and political life. The project also aims at supporting the EMBs in strengthening integrity of the electoral process by enhancing accountability of responsible actors and supporting the implementation of electoral fraud mitigation mechanisms. Assisting the EMBs to implement measures to increase public confidence in election and democracy will be mainstreamed through the electoral assistance provided.
The UNESP will be implemented under Direct Implementation Modality (DIM). UNDP rules and regulations will govern the project implementation including, but not limited to; resource management, procurement, recruitment, audit and evaluation. IEC and ECC are the main partners of the project. The Project will be managed by a Deputy Chief Electoral Advisor/Project Manager (PM), reporting, on fiduciary and operational matters, to the UNDP Country Director, and substantively to the UN Chief Electoral Advisor. The Country Office will ensure that the project’s monitoring, reporting, procurement and recruitment functions are carried out fully in line with UNDP’s programming requirements, and, in this respect, the Project will develop a monitoring and evaluation (M&E) framework to track project progress and results. The Deputy CEA/Project Manager through the project structure will ensure adherence to project implementation requirements, stakeholder coordination and timely project reporting, while the CEA will ensure effective donor coordination.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief Electoral Advisor and direct supervision of the Deputy Chief Electoral Advisor / Project Manager, the Election Information Management Systems Specialist will support, advise and assist the relevant IEC and ECC I.C.T. and Database staff in their functions and tasks, with the aim of transferring knowledge and engendering their independent capacity to fulfill their role roles.
Summary of key functions:
- Advises the IEC and ECC on all aspects of Election Information Management Systems;
- Advise the IEC and ECC in the design and technical requirements of data processing;
- Ensures transfer of skills by using appropriate computer training modules and materials;
- Oversee Information and Communication Management wellbeing;
- Perform other tasks, duties and responsibilities required for the successful implementation of the project.
Advises the EMB’s on all aspects of Election Information Management Systems:
- Lead in the conceptualization, management and coordination of the design, implementation and maintenance of ICT systems integration projects, with a focus on reliability, availability and security aspects of election networks;
- Advise the Commission counterpart on the development of proposals for information technology systems to support the electoral process;
- Advise the Commission counterpart in the development, testing and implementation and maintenance of its Communication and Information technology infrastructure;
- Review network configuration and plans cost effective upgrades to keep up with changing technology, growth of organization and projects ensuring maximum efficiency.
Advise the EMB’s in the design and technical requirements of data processing:
- Advise the IEC counterpart(s) in the design, implementation and monitoring of the data processing operations to produce the voters register and other Electoral processes;
- Advise the Commission on the design and production of various electoral forms and reports including the list of registration centers, the Provisional Voter Register and the Final Voter Register;
- Advise the IEC and ECC on technical specifications on all identified requirements to be submitted for procurement;
- Assist in the technical review of tender documents, materials and equipment to be procured for the IEC and ECC in support of the electoral process.
Ensures transfer of skills by using appropriate computer training modules and materials:
- Ensure transfer of skills to the IEC and ECC ICT counterparts through the application of appropriate On-job-training, recognized international computer training modules and the use of appropriate industry training materials;
- Lead assessment of information management systems with reference to the voter registration.
Oversee Information and Communication Management Wellbeing;
- Provides support to maintenance of a secure and reliable infrastructure environment for IEC and ECC ICT;
- Advises the IEC and ECC counterparts in development of disaster recovery and business continuity plans and ensure appropriate planning and training of those responsible;
- Provide technical guidance for all members of the IEC and ECC ICT unit;
- Manage Information Technology and Information management systems of UNESP.
Knowledge, Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
- In depth knowledge on development issues;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programs and projects and mobilise resources;
- Good knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit;
- Strong I.T. skills;
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change.
- Builds strong relationship with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude; Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Remains calm, in control, and good humored even under pressure;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors by means of proven networking, team-building, organizational, and communication skills;
- Sound time management and organized skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks; · Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills; · Ability to work in a multicultural environment with sound understanding and capability to empower and develop the capacity of national counterparts;
- Advanced computer skills and strong knowledge of various software including Excel, Power point and Word.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Encourages and strengthens team work;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and management skills from a gender perspective and capacity to quickly develop a rapport with people from different backgrounds with both women and men.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Information Management, Engineering, Computers mathematics or other related field.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible professional experience in systems analysis and development of IT systems required; experience in relevant areas, experience in electoral projects.
- Knowledge of and practical experience with IT service quality standard (ITIL) process and related ISO standard (ISO 27001) required.
- Relevant experience at the national and international level in providing management advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments;
- Prior experience in Afghanistan, in particular on previous election management programs a significant advantage;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP systems.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential;
- Knowledge of Dari/Pashto an asset.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension