Job Title: Education Research Specialist
Reports to: Managing Director
Project Summary: SREO Consulting is looking for an Education Research Specialist with strong quantitative skills to lead a study on Out of School Children in Iraq. The purpose of the study is to update the existing information on the phenomenon of OOSC in Iraq by examining the nature and extent of the problem, underlying causes and the existing formal and alternative education interventions to address it. The study will cover all governorates, and establish a database of OOSC. This critical information will contribute towards developing effective programs, interventions and strategies to ensure access to quality education for these children in Iraq.
Position Summary: The Education Research Specialist will lead all quantitative components of the study to identify and quantify school-aged children who are out of school in Iraq. The position will work closely with the research team to make recommendations for an effective system to track OOSC in Iraq and towards designing quality education interventions.
Contract Duration: 2-3 months
Location: Remote; with occasional travel to Iraq
Responsibilities & Duties:
· Lead all quantitative aspects related to analysis of education data from selecting the most appropriate methodology to facilitate the project, identifying credible sources and designing relevant tools.
· Assist the research team in liaising with clients and disseminating research findings to them.
· Meet with relevant stakeholders for workshops and capacity-building measures.
· Serve as client focal point and present findings to clients, and assist the Managing Director in liaising with clients;
· Support the Research team in developing research tools and compiling and analyzing data to draft reports.
Qualifications & Skills:
· 7-10 years of experience in conducting research on education
· Excellent proficiency in quantitative research methods with proven quantitative data analysis and tabulation skills (Stata, SPSS)
· Master’s degree required, preferably in education, public policy, econometrics/and or economics. Ph.D. in a relevant discipline is preferable, with 3-5 years of experience in education-related research.
· Demonstrable report writing experience.
· Understanding of Education Management Information Systems (EMIS), Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey (MICS) and household surveys such as DHS
· Experience in designing quantitative/qualitative studies, including sampling methods
· UN work experience is an advantage
· Fluency in English
About SREO Consulting
SREO Consulting is an independent, non-partisan research and monitoring & evaluation and research consultancy headquartered in Istanbul, Turkey with offices in Iraq, Syria, Tunisia and Mali. SREO was founded in 2013 and provides M&E and research services to the public sector, international development institutions, INGOs/ NGOs and private companies. Our mission is to inform the development of effective strategies for stakeholders and donors engaged in humanitarian responses in the Middle East, North Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa.