Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we can act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- In response to increasing defections from non-state militant groups in Somalia, the Federal Government of Somalia (FGoS) & UN partners embarked on a process to develop the “National Program on the Treatment & Handling of Disengaged Combatants” (National Program). The National Program, which was endorsed at the London Conference in May 2013, maintains the objective of establishing a comprehensive process that allows for low risk disengaged combatants to reintegrate in communities & become productive citizens. Under the mandate of the National Program, IOM, Disarmament, Demobilization & Reintegration (DDR) unit provides rehabilitation support to low risk disengaged combatants through Transition Centers in Kismayo & Baidoa. The Transition Centers offer protection to the beneficiaries, psycho social & livelihoods support to successfully return to civilian life. This support includes the provision of life skills, numeracy & literacy, vocational & business training.
- IOM' DDR unit is seeking to recruit an experienced Education Coordinator to support the coordination of holistic training program for Transition Center & Female Day Training Center in Kismayo & Baidoa. The assignment will include coordinating with Trainers to regularly improve training curriculum's for the courses offered at the centers (i.e. electrical works, masonry, plumbing, retail/trade, tailoring, numeracy/literacy & business management etc). The Education Coordinator will also conduct training of Trainers on adult Education/Curriculum to build the capacity of the Trainers & support the development of a standard testing system.
- Overall contract performance management will be done by the DDR Program Manager, under the supervision of the DDR Program Coordinator.
This is a full-time position, based in Mogadishu, with frequent travel to Kismayo & Baidoa. The specific tasks include:
- Lead the overall coordination of all the education/training program under IOM DDR unit.
- Conducting an intensive training of Trainers on practical teaching skills & providing ongoing on the job skills building.
- Build on & continue to improve existing education curriculum & conduct review of the curriculum every 6 months while assessing relevance of content & tangible benefits of training as needed in accordance with theoretical & practical teaching.
- Maintain standardized students’ assessments & record keeping system for student progress & attendance.
- Create, update & maintain training materials, PowerPoint presentations, training manuals, handouts, practice exercises & administrative documentation.
- Make recommendations about how to best deliver content to beneficiaries including the most effective training strategies, methodologies & tools.
- In coordination with the Trainers, ensure that student case files are maintained properly & student progress reports is reviewed periodic to reflect overall training program achievements.
- Introduce interactive e-learning platforms for both students & Teachers for professional development.
- Promote a culture of best professional practice in learning, teaching & assessment to ensure the development of quality & effectiveness in the curriculum.
- Conduct training of Teachers on the knowledge & practical implementation of content, evaluation tools & teaching methodologies to ensure that Teachers are provided with regular opportunities for staying up to date with skills, knowledge & qualifications as appropriate.
- Submit biweekly reports on education program’s progress, successes & challenges to the management.
- Carry out at least two visits per month to the site in order to provide inputs to improve M&E.
- Hold meetings with staff to discuss key issues on training, instruction & proposed changes.
- Meet with proposed service providers such as employers, state representatives, TVET Directors & representatives in community councils &/or boards that advise or are consulted by relevant authorities on issues related to educational & livelihood outcomes such as:
b) Practical content.
c) Examination requirements.
d) Qualifications delivered to beneficiaries.
e) Competence to be gained in the program.
f) Accreditation given to beneficiaries.
g)Sectors/Occupations in which practical vocational training is available.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- This role reports to the DDR Program Manager.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 7 year of experience in Africa (essential).
- Master’s Degree in Education.
- High level of computer literacy (MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook).
- A minimum of seven years of experience in education, with substantial experience in developing & rolling out training curriculum's.
- Fluent in Somali & English (essential)..
- Knowledge in Mai (desirable).
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for action & manages constructive criticisms.
- Client Orientation: Works effectively well with client & stakeholders.
- Continuous Learning: Promotes continuous learning for self & others.
- Communication: Listens & communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience.
- Creativity & Initiative: Actively seeks new ways of improving programs or services.
- Leadership & Negotiation: Develops effective partnerships with internal & external stakeholders.
- Performance Management: Identify ways & implement actions to improve performance of self & others.
- Planning & Organizing: Plans work, anticipates risks & sets goals within area of responsibility.
- Professionalism: Displays mastery of subject matter.
- Teamwork: Contributes to a collegial team environment.
- Technological Awareness: Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
Other relevant information:
- Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role on or before 28.5.2019.