The situation in Somalia remains fragile with continued political instability, climatic variability, and lack of basic social services. OCHA’s role is to coordinate effective and principled inter-agency humanitarian response and ensure that relief assistance reaches the people who need it in a timely manner. In line with OCHA’s global mission, OCHA Somalia continues to:
- Advocate for access to basic services, especially water, sanitation, education and health for vulnerable communities, including the collection, analysis and dissemination of information to humanitarian partners, and negotiation of access.
- Support the government efforts and humanitarian organizations in relocation of internally displaced and return.
- Coordinate the implementation of humanitarian response in Somalia with UN agencies and programmes, national and international NGOs and local authorities/communities as appropriate, with focus on strengthening the cluster approach.
- Enhance a protective environment that respects the human rights of all, including IDPs, returnees and minority clans.
Under overall guidance of the Administrative officer and the direct supervision of the Administrative Analyst the driver will perform the following functions:
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/ supplies
- Maintenance of proper clerical system
- Effective mail management
- Provide logistical and administrative support
- Maintenance of the office filing system in accordance with the OCHA Global Filing System;
- Opening of new subject files as required and disposal of old files in accordance with the established retention schedule;
- Maintenance of archives, making sure files are properly stored and accessible; safe keeping of documents;
- Provision of photocopies of material from the clerical files, as requested by staff;
- Assistance in the collection of reference and background material from clerical files;
- Establishment and maintenance of records system of file movements within the office; maintenance of the office circulation and reading files;
- Preparation of correspondence and reports related to clerical activities
7. Ensures provision of effective mail management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Receipt, registration, coding and forwarding of incoming faxes, letters and other correspondence to proper department/unit/officer;
- Registration and dispatch of the outgoing communications, including pouch, and follow-up distribution;
- Prepares the summary of enclosure forms and necessary documents and maintains the file on pouches received to ensure that all bags are accounted for.
8.Provide logistical and administrative support during office events, meetings, workshops, re-treats, as required.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe, cost-effective and timely execution of OCHA Somalia Office services.
- Demonstrates the values of the United Nations in daily activities and behaviors, Acts without consideration of personal gain, resists undue political pressure in decision-making, does not abuse power or authority, stands by decisions that are in the Organization’s interest, even if they are unpopular, Takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behavior
- Shows pride in work and in achievements, demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter, is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results, is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns, shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges, Remains calm in stressful situations.
Respect for diversity:
- Works effectively with people from all backgrounds, treats all people with dignity and respect, treats men and women equally, shows respect for and understanding of diverse points of view and demonstrates this understanding in daily work and decision-making, examines own biases and behaviors to avoid stereotypical responses, does not discriminate against any individual or group
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair (for Drivers)
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol (for Drivers)
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues (for Drivers)
MANAGING DOCUMENTS, CORRESPONDENCE AND REPORTS
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spread sheet software
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
PLANNING, ORGANIZING AND MULTI-TASKING
- Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Completed High/Secondary School Education or equivalent with three years of relevant experience as a driver is required.
- Valid driving license (A, B, C, D, E class) and training certificate for armored vehicle is required.
- Minimum of Three (3) years of relevant work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair is required;
- Ability to work with computer and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages is desirable;
- Good knowledge of routes within Mogadishu.
- Good knowledge and working experience with HF and VHF Radios.
- Previous work experience with UN organization and International NGO is desirable.
- Fluency in English and Somali is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension