UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Under the overall guidance of the Operations Associate and the direct supervision of the Field Officer, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the UN Women country office ensuring highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of key functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services.
- Proper use of vehicle.
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle.
- Maintain vehicles documents, records and supplies available and updated.
1. Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by:
- Driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel, other high-ranking officials and visitors and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items, goods and supplies, in/out of Amman and Zaatari/Azraq Camps as requested;
- Meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangement when required;
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
2. Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
3. Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
4. Ensures availability of all the required documents, records and supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe, cost-effective and timely execution of the CO operational services.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Respect for Diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Excellent driving skills.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, and local roads and conditions, and defensive driving skills.
- Skill in minor vehicle repairs.
- Professional appearance and punctuality.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certificate:
- High School Diploma.
- Valid Jordanian Driver's License with a clean driving record.
- No experience required; however, 2-3 years of work experience in professional driving in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a safe driving record would be an asset.
- Excellent driving record and demonstrated experience in traveling through Amman and other districts is highly desired.
- Fluency in Arabic and English are required.