UNODC Regional Office for West and Central Africa (ROSEN) Programme Office in Ghana, provides aassistance to ECOWAS and to Member States in West Africa for the Development and Implementation of Drug Control and Crime Prevention Strategies
Under the overall supervision of the UNODC Representative for West and Central Africa, the substantive guidance of the Head of Law Enforcement Section (Organized Crime & Illicit Trafficking), and the direct supervision of the UNODC National Programme Coordinator in Ghana, the Driver will;
- Ensure the provision of reliable and secure driving services by; (a) driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items; (b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport; and (c) undertaking visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensure cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tyres, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensure availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts.
- Ensure that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/ supplies
Expected tangible and measurable output(s) / deliverable(s)
- Timely and secure transportation of UN staffs, consultants, and authorised persons to scheduled meetings, workshops, etc within Accra and other regions.
- Efficient and timely dispatch / collection of written correspondences to / from state institutions, civil society organizations, etc.
- Accurate and well-maintained driver’s log book indicating trips undertaken, passengers, mileage covered, etc.
- Timely reporting of incidences (such as accidents, fire, flood, etc) with potential negative impact on the performance of the vehicle to supervision.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment to provide efficient delivery of service
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair (for Drivers)
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol (for Drivers)
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues (for Drivers)
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative
- Transmits file data; creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and/or identifies patterns which support the work of others
Planning, organizing and multi-tasking:
- Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
- Secondary High School Education and valid Driver’s License.
- 2 years’ work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations; and skills in minor vehicle repair.
For the post advertised, excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: One year with possibility of extension