Since the electoral process of 1994, Mozambique has seen its main electoral management body (EMB), the National Electoral Commission (CNE) has undergone important changes in the composition and selection of its members while the Technical Secretariat for the Administration of Elections (STAE) has become a permanent structure subordinate to the CNE. UNDP has been involved in the electoral processes in Mozambique since the country’s first multiparty elections, providing technical assistance and support to both EMBs and other electoral stakeholders.
Further to a request from the Government of Mozambique, a 2017 Needs Assessment Mission recommended the provision of UN support to the electoral management bodies in specific technical areas during the 2018-2019 electoral cycle.
Despite the recognized development of the local EMBs electoral experience and technical knowledge, the country still faces several challenges in its efforts to promote credible and transparent elections: voter’s participation has since 2009 been below 50%; the results transmission system has been for leading to delays in the announcement of results; clarity and access to dispute resolution and complaints procedures are limited and; a for the first time, district judges have been given the mandate to adjudicate on electoral disputes. STAE and CNE will benefit from support to strengthen some of the work they have already initiated, such as the implementation of quicker system for transmission of preliminary results as well as support to improving the quality of the electoral officers’ performance across the country. Both EMBs will also need support to continue holding several training programmes for both internal and external audiences, support to ensure more transparency and more efficient internal and external communications strategies. Civic Education continues to be an essential aspect of the electoral process with better impact if STAE direct staff are trained throughout the country to ensure civic education is conducted at the lowest level of the village. On the dispute resolution aspect, the district judges will require special training on electoral matters.
This project’s timeframe is the period between 2018 and 2020. In 2018 and 2019 the country will carry out two electoral processes and the project will concentrate is support on these two events. In 2020 focus on the codification of lessons learned, planning to better project future electoral cycles and support to reviews of relevant legal and electoral frameworks
The main focus of this project is on ensuring that the process is credible, transparent and accepted by the electorate. In order to keep increasing the quality of the training provided to electoral staff at provincial and district levels, ensuring coherence on the understanding and application of different electoral procedures and other aspects of electoral work, the project will develop new electronic tools such as E-Learnings and Videos. The capacity-building strategy targets the IT focal points, civic education officers, electoral officers in general and also the district judges regarding electoral disputes.
The project will work primarily with STAE/CNE, the Judiciary and the Ministry of Interior. In all the identified activities, UNDP will liaise with other international organisations working in the field of elections to coordinate implementation of activities. The principles underpinning the technical advice provided to the electoral authorities by the UN are sustainability, the cost-effectiveness, inclusion, environmental and gender awareness.
It is against this background that UNDP aims to recruit a Driverfor the Project on Elections to support in the mobility and commute for delivering its activities.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief Technical Advisor, and the direct supervision of the project Admin and Finance Assistant the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services ensuring high accuracy of work. The Office Driver demonstrates a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
The Key function of the Driver is to provide effective support to the project activities to the Project Team and UNDP Country Office in accordance with UNDP rules, regulations and procedures to ensureultimate delivery of Project results as formulated in the Project Document. To achieve this, the successful candidate will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items;
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports;
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc. Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents;
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts;
- Ensures effective mail management focusing on achieve Receipt, registration, coding and forwarding of incoming faxes, letters, and other correspondence received by mail, diplomatic pouch or electronically to proper department/unit/personnel Registration and dispatch of outgoing communications, including pouch and follow-up distribution;
Perform any other duties related to the project as requested by the Chief Technical Advisor.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management within the national Institutionsenvironment through sharing of information and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development
Job knowledge and technical expertise:
- Good driving skills
- Good technical know-how of vehicles
- Good understanding of traffic rules
Delivery: Management and Leadership
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Listens to develop awareness of client’s needs,
- Respects difference of opinion,
- Finds common ground to solve problems;
- Demonstrates behaviors such as teamwork, maintaining relationships, and seeks guidance from supervisor to address issues.
Secondary Education with valid driving license;
At least 3 years of relevant reporting experience:
Safe driving record;
Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
Working knowledge of UNDP rules and regulations is a strong asset;
Fluency Portuguese(written and spoken) is required. Knowing English will be an added advantage.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension