The Department of Political Affairs (DPA) is carrying out its support to Nepal’s peace process and long-term stability through frequent visits to the country with a view to closely monitoring peace process developments and constitution making process, conducting regular consultations with all relevant Nepalese actors and providing regular updates and recommendations to the Secretary-General and as appropriate.
This engagement will be supported by the presence in Kathmandu of a small UN DPA Liaison Office which is attached to the office of the UN Resident Coordinator (RCO).
Under the direct supervision of the Administrative Assistant and the overall supervision of the Team Leader, DPA Liaison Office, Nepal, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Provision of reliable and secure driving services:
- Ensure provision of reliable and safe driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of the DPA officials, delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items, and b) meeting official personal and visitors at the airport and provide necessary assistance;
- Ensure full preparation and planning of operational issues for missions by road outside Kathmandu as and when required;
- Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accident or in case of theft of vehicle parts.
2. Proper use of vehicle:
- Logs in official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, general condition of vehicles etc.; remove the below space;
- Keeps track of regular maintenance & servicing schedule and arranges for vehicles to be inspected and repaired at the officially designated workshop; (put this below) checks the vehicle prior to and after the workshop visit;
- Ensure that there is no unauthorized use or misuse of vehicle additionally, ensures that unauthorized person or equipment is not carried in the vehicle.
3. Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle:
- Responsible to check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires etc. are in proper condition;
- Performs minor repairs and ensures that the vehicle is kept clean and in good working condition at all times.
4. Availability of documents/ supplies:
- Ensure availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory and map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
5. Gender and social inclusion sensitivity:
- Ensures equal treatment and respect to passengers irrespective of gender or social ethnicity.
1. Innovation - Level 1: Assesses work with critical eye; seeks feedback on work activities:
- Demonstrates interest in learning about clients’ perspectives and needs.
2. Leadership - Level 1: Takes responsibility for and ensures high quality of own work:
- Uses available resources, methods, partners, and information effectively.
3. People Management - Level 1: Understands personal and team roles, responsibilities and objectives:
- Proactively seeks clarification when needed;
- Proactively seeks instruction, feedback and coaching to improve performance.
4. Communication - Level 1: Reliably and consistently interprets information and instruction correctly:
- Responds to information and instruction with professionalism and accuracy;
- Speaks on behalf of self with professionalism and integrity consistent with UN values.
5. Delivery - Level 1: Meets goals and timelines for team deliverables:
- Understands responsibilities and meets expectations;
- Delivers within time and resource requirements;
- Awareness of organizational values and code of conduct in delivering services.
1. Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties;
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair;
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol;
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
2. Managing Documents, Correspondence & Reports:
- Maintain vehicle log book in timely manner;
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard.
3. Planning, Organizing & Multi-Tasking:
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships;
- Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines;
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs;
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support.
4. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Completion of SLC pass education is a prerequisite.
- The incumbent must possess excellent driving skills on and off the road including field driving experience;
- A thorough understanding of international organization rules and regulation for safe driving and formalities to be followed in cases of involvement in accidents is mandatory;
- Valid Driver’s License;
- Two years of working experience as a driver in an international organization or reputed organization with a safe and excellent driving record is essential;
- Training in minor vehicle repair would be preferred. Knowledge of driving rules & regulation is mandatory.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Nepali Languages.
- Knowledge of handling computer.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieve work force diversity (in terms of nationality, minority groups, caste/ ethnic groups, persons with disability etc.) and has a policy to have gender balance among staff at all levels. Qualified female candidates and candidates particularly from disadvantaged and socially excluded groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with highest confidentiality.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension