WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In the past 4 years, TEC has established a strong and robust knowledge in application development on Django/Python technological stack that has proven to be an agile and lean but still powerful framework for custom application development. To maintain its development capacity and enforce the role of guidance, innovation and support to the WFP IT initiatives, TECD is in need to hire a Django/Python developer that will be involved in several projects and initiatives and will act as focal point with external vendors who may be involved in order to scale up with the development capacity.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University Degree and/or advanced courses/training with emphasis in one or more of the following disciplines: computer science , mathematics or Software Engineering
Minimum 3 years post graduate, progressively responsible professional experience as Web Developer within an organization and proven record of accomplishment in development and implementation of IT applications.
Possession of a combination of broad business skills and IT experience including:
- IT solution development: Requirements, Design, Development, Implementation.
- Business analysis: creation and review of business, functional and non-functional requirements for IT solutions.
Language : English Level C proficiency
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the general and functional supervision of the Head of Application Development unit located in the Digital Service Hub in Nairobi, the Django/Python developer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Code Development
- Analyze business requirements and design/develop new system functionality.
- Rapidly and independently develop application prototypes in Python-Django, following the rigorous software development and quality assurance / test coverage standards of the IT Competence Centre.
- Create and maintain software design models and technical documentation
- Technical Coordination with External Developers
- Develop fully functional web applications in coordination with remotely located software developers, adopting the SCRUM methodology, a team ticketing systems and a shared source code repository.
- Platforms Maintenance
- Develop enhancements to implement new features and to strengthen application automations, validations, and reports.
- Troubleshoot technical issues and fix bugs affecting the web application in different environments (production, sandbox, training, etc.)
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
Strong experience with Development standard tools/methodologies
A certain degree of autonomy and self-management skills are required in order to identify solutions to be submitted to the related Team Leader for final approval.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This position is for six ( 6 ) months and is based in Nairobi Kenya.
The role is open to Kenya Nationals only.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Apply by 11th July 2018.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.