- Providing oversight and technical support to the Spotlight Initiative at the district level by serving as the distric coordination focal point with respect to Spotlight interventions and operations at that level;
- Convene periodic meetings with all Joint UN Programme Implementing Partners (IPs), District focal points in the district and Spotlight UN Volunteers, to facilitate information-sharing, identify opportunities for cross-project collaboration and synthesize best practices and lessons learned;
- Leading partnership-building on behalf of the Spotlight Initiative with district external stakeholders, in accordance with instructive guidance provided by the Joint Programme Implementation Team based in Lilongwe;
- Work closely with Government Gender and Youth Officers to ensure the activities align with district priorities and plans.
- Developing district micro-action plan for programme implementation, in line with the Spotlight Joint Annual Work Plan, and support the implementation of the Spotlight Initiative at the district level;
- Ensuring that monthly and/or quarterly progress reports are prepared and shared with the Joint Programme Implementation Team in Lilongwe and the four Spotlight UN Agencies (UNICEF, UNDP, UN Women, UNFPA) in a timely manner;
- Capacity strengthening of the District Gender and Youth Officers, and other relevant district council staff to ensure sustainability of the Spotlight Initiative.
- Ensure effective application of Results Based Management (RBM) tools through effective monitoring of the execution of the district annual implementation plan on a monthly basis and ensure the achievement of Programme results;
- Conducting monitoring visits according to the implementation plan and providing technical guidance to district programme focal persons, wherever necessary;
- Facilitate opportunities for cross-project planning and implementation through joint field visits, joint needs assessments and technical assessments;
- Working with the Joint Programme Implementation Team in Lilongwe to facilitate donor visits, whenever necessary.
- Working closely with the District Director of Finance (Government) to ensure that all direct reports comply with financial monitoring standards and that they meet monthly budget variance targets as well as budgeting and reporting requirements of UN Agencies;
- Improving the skills of direct reports and develop District Councils’ capacity to comply with the provisions of the partnership agreement.
- Working closely with all the Spotlight Initiative partners (both Government ministries and NGOs/CSOs) to ensure that activities are delivered in a timely manner while meeting the relevant quality standards;
- Participate in district level meetings, including the District Executive Meetings, whenever invited.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work, Level 4: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully
- Ability to persuade others to follow , Level 4: Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction, Level 4: Models independent thinking and action
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform Level 4: Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement Level 4: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services
- Ability to manage organizational resources and deployment in pursuit of innovation approaches and initiatives, Level 5: Originate, Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Institutional capacity building, Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise
- M&E Planning , Level 4: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise
- Results based reporting, Level 5:Originate- Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge, Level 4: apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise
- Master’s Degree in Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Social Sciences, Gender, or similar from an accredited University
- Minimum of 2-5 Years years’ experience in the areas of Gender, Sexual and Gender-Based Violence, Harmful Practices and Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights;
- Prior experience with the UN system is an asset;
- Outstanding communication, project management and organizational skills;
- Familiarity with the working environment and professional standards of international organizations is an asset;
- Proven experience building and maintaining partnerships with Government, other development partners and the UN;
- Experience in working with NGOs and the Civil Society, and with participatory approaches;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Chichewa.
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is essential;
- The candidate must be willing and able to reside in one of the six Spotlight Districts over the course of the next two years (Nkhatabay, Mzimba, Ntchisi, Dowa, Machinga and Nsanje).
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year, renewable.