The Director of Program Development and Quality (PDQ) plays a key role in defining and pursuing the strategic direction for Save the Children’s programs in Laos, ensuring the relevance, strategic coherence, and impact of our programs for children. S/he has specific oversight for strategy and program development, and ensuring that programs demonstrate thematic excellence in contributing to Save the Children’s three priority breakthroughs for children: no child dies from preventable causes before their fifth birthday; all children learn from a quality basic education; and violence against children is no longer tolerated.
The Director of PDQ works with thematic leads to develop evidence-based strategies, programs and projects, to strengthen program integration, and to spearhead advocacy and campaigning initiatives. S/he takes a lead in establishing systems for quality improvement, accountability, evaluation and learning, and in ensuring that learning and results are captured, shared and used to inform programs. The Director leads the Country Office in developing and carrying out its partnership strategy with national NGOs and other strategic partners. As a senior leader in the country office s/he plays a representational role with the Government of Laos, donors, partners and others. The PDQ Director has the responsibility to build the capacity of, mentor and coach SC teams and individual staff in areas related to PDQ, ensuring the development of a strong national team. S/he works closely with PDQ and thematic leaders from across Save the Children to facilitate strategic alignment and to maximize synergies.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Skills and Experience
* Minimum of 10 years’ experience as a senior member of an international development organisation with at least 5 years’ management experience.
* Experience in managing more than one of the Save the Children priority sectors: education, protection, child rights governance, child poverty, health and nutrition, and humanitarian.
* Proven excellence in leading a team. Team player.
* Master’s degree or its equivalent in years of experience in Social Sciences, international development, or other relevant sector
* An appreciation and understanding of the issues concerning the NGO sector in Laos, both development and humanitarian
* Demonstrated knowledge of children’s issues, rights-based program approaches, and child safeguarding principles.
* Proven expertise in developing and managing Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning systems, and overseeing baselines/evaluations.
* Demonstrated skills in designing and carrying out qualitative and quantitative research and using research to inform program design and advocacy.
* Demonstrated capacity to design innovative and high impact programs, and leveraging project results towards broader systemic impact.
* Excellent analytical skills.
* Effective negotiator, with the ability to positively influence cross departmental and cross sector work
* Credibility to lobby, influence and represent Save the Children at all levels
* Strong skills in training, capacity building, coaching, and mentoring teams/staff members
* Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming teams, in emergencies
* Able to work well under pressure and deadlines
* Previous experience working in the field and understanding of country program operations. Experience working in SE Asia is a plus.
* Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
* Fluency in written and spoken English, Thai/Lao would be an advantage
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
* No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
* All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
* Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers
Closing Date for Application: 12 March 2019
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
This vacancy is archived.
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel
UN career subscription. Get new vacancies and internships daily on your phone.Subscribe now