Creative Associates International, Inc. (Creative) is seeking a Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning (MERL) for an anticipated USAID-funded education project in Somalia. S/he will be responsible for leading the design and implementation of the activity monitoring and evaluation framework and information system to track delivery against targets and outcomes. The Director of MERL reports to the Chief of Party.
- Lead analysis of data collected for assessment of progress and areas of improvement;
- Guide reporting processes amongst technical staff and consolidates program reports, promote learning and knowledge sharing of best practices and lessons learnt;
- Support all the technical staff in MERL functions and will manage any MERL-related staff in the program;
- Ensure MERL activities are in line with the USAID Evaluation Policy and USAID Education Strategy, especially related to ‘counting’ towards USAID’s global education goals;
- Ensure periodic reports (oral and written) are made to USAID and coordinate closely with the external Contractor;
- Lead the design and execution of research and learning activities;
- Ensure capacity building of local organizations and local project staff in execution of MERL activities; and
- Oversee all communication/written products in close collaboration with project’s communications team.
- A Master’s Degree in education, research methods or another relevant social science;
- An advance degree (PhD) from an accredited university in research design/evaluation (or a relevant field) is highly-desired.
Skills and Experience:
- At least seven (7) years of experience designing and implementing MERL activities for integrated reading and access education programs in developing countries;
- Expertise in qualitative and quantitative research, including relevant statistical software;
- Strong writing and organizational skills for monitoring and reporting on program and program outcomes and impacts;
- Demonstrated experience in setting up and managing M&E systems that track performance as per the performance results of this project;
- Demonstrated analytical skills to measure the outcomes of the project’s activities and support project supervision; and
- Demonstrated experience working in complex environments, working across different cultures, and managing diverse teams to deliver impacts within agreed timelines.
- Professional level of oral and written fluency in English; and
- Proficiency in Somali is highly-desired.
Local and regional candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.