With the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development at its core, and in response to the General Assembly resolution 71/243 on the quadrennial comprehensive policy review of operational activities for development of the United Nations system, the UN Secretary General's report (December2017) "Repositioning the United Nations development system to deliver on the 2030 Agenda: our promise for dignity, prosperity and peace on a healthy planet" puts forward a comprehensive proposal on further improvements to the resident coordinator system to ensure more coherent, accountable and effective support for the 2030 Agenda. This was further reinforced by General Assembly resolution 72/729 of 1 June 2018, which gave the Secretary-General the mandate to implement the repositioning.
A reinvigorated resident coordinator system is at the centre of a repositioned United Nations development system, and while the system has been instrumental in driving coherence on the ground over the past four decades, it is now insufficiently robust to respond to the needs of the 2030 Agenda. The report stresses that resident coordinator offices will need to be adequately staffed to ensure sufficient substantive capacities to lead United Nations country teams. The core capacity will include expertise in coordination and strategic planning, economics, results monitoring and evaluation, and strategic partnerships, and a robust standing communications capacity within United Nations country teams.
This post is part of this new generation of resident coordinator offices, with the new skillset and competencies required to deliver on the 2030 Agenda.
The position is in the United Nations Resident Coordination Office (RCO) and reports to the Resident Coordinator.
Within delegated authority, the Development Coordination Officer, Partnerships and Development Finance will be responsible of the following duties: (These duties are generic and may not be carried out by all Development Coordination Officers, Partnerships and Development Finance.)
Summary of Functions:
- Provides substantive support for strategic planning for and coordination of UN Country Team (UNCT) partnerships
- Participates in joint resource mobilization for the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF)
- Provides substantive support on financing for accelerating the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Supports knowledge management and capacity development
1. Assists with the provision of substantive support for strategic planning for and coordination of UNCT partnerships focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Lead and advice on the development and implementation of the UN Partnership Strategy in alignment with and support of the UNDAF in the country;
- Review and refine the strategy at regular intervals to harness new emerging opportunities, to anticipate changes to the internal direction and external environment, and to make mid-term adjustments;
- Provides substantive support to the Resident Coordinator (RC) and the UNCT in identifying risks and opportunities related to specific partnerships, and suggests mitigation measures as relevant;
- Provides inputs on due diligence processes of potential investment and partnership opportunities, in accordance with UN regulations and procedures;
- Provides substantive support to RC/UNCT to develop and implement locally-tailored partnerships and resource mobilization strategies and initiatives;
- Contributes to dialogues with partners to improve development assistance policies and practice
- Liaise and coordinate with UN entities at country, regional and HQ levels, to help package and define UN business strategies, including differentiated value propositions, to attract partners, both traditional and non-traditional.
2. Participates in joint resource mobilization for the UNDAF focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provides strategic guidance and support to RC/UNCT to develop and implement locally-tailored resource mobilization strategies and initiatives, and identify appropriate data and benchmarks to measure progress and success;
- Manage, analyses and provide oversight of all existing resource mobilization partnerships and relationships, including those with high net worth;
- Support designs, formulation, implementation, monitoring and reporting of joint programmes and programming processes for use in joint resource mobilization;
- Supports the production and distribution of marketing materials to raise awareness about opportunities for working with the UN on SDG investment; ;
- In close collaboration with the UN Communication group, contributes to building the UN brand via events, media and public relations opportunities targeted to the diverse partners.
3. Provides substantive support on financing for accelerating the achievement of the SDGs focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provides substantive support on financing for development options, instruments, modalities to the RC/UNCT, in alignment with the Common Country Analysis (CCA), UNDAF, MAPS (Mainstreaming, Acceleration and Policy Support) and similar processes;
- Analyzes trends and provides advice on new and innovative financing mechanisms for development and SDG acceleration;
- Provides inputs for briefing papers and discussion points on issues related to financing for development for consideration by RC/UNCT;
- Facilitates engagements with external stakeholders - including the national government, international financial institutions and others - on financing for SDG acceleration;
- Design and execution of innovative proposals to strengthen the UNCT engagement and reputation, and to generate greater financial resources in support of the SDGs;
- In close collaboration with MPTFO, supports the establishment and management of the country-based SDG Fund, in close collaboration with UN Multi-Partner Trust Fund Office (where relevant).
4. Supports knowledge management and capacity development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Manages, plans and facilitates the development, maintenance and sharing of knowledge and intelligence, to ensure RC/UNCT are informed and positioned to effectively generate and harness opportunities to meet its resource mobilization targets;
- Contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice at national, regional and global levels;
- Undertakes activities to strengthen the capacity of UNCTs to mainstream and promote SDG investment partnerships;
- Provides substantive advice in support for the discovery, evaluation and selection of partnership opportunities at the sourcing and origination stages.
Model high professional standards and motivate excellency in others:
- Coaches team members to appropriately share knowledge across teams
- Addresses conflicts in a timely, sensitive manner; escalates to leadership when appropriate
- Recognizes members of the team for their efforts and successes
- Optimizes individual and team abilities
Plans and acts transparently, actively works to removes barriers:
- Creates awareness of substantive opportunities and risks among others
- Navigates complex circumstances thoughtfully and is solution-minded
Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them:
- Integrates diverse contributions to formulate coherent approaches
- Aligns innovation to service delivery components
- Manages prototype / pilot efforts and seeks feedback
Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others:
- Persuades others to embrace new ideas, even when controversial
- Empathizes with client perspectives and needs and communicates messages with the clients’ experiences in mind
- Creates opportunities for developing new client relationships
Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions:
- Level Anticipates constraints and identifies solutions
- Expands capacity of team to deliver on time, on target, and within organizational standards
- Ensures high quality of work in terms of both substantive depth and adaptive relevance to client needs
- Accepts responsibility for implementation / team deliverables / client satisfaction consistent with organizational standards
- Exhibits thorough organizational awareness of UNDP’s approach to client service delivery and integrity and accountability
- Exhibits sound judgment and the ability to make reasonable decisions in complex situations.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business or public administration, sustainable development, social sciences, education or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with seven additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in providing strategic support to partnerships, project/programme management, resource mobilization or development finance in the context of development cooperation or related area is required.
- Proficiency in English and Pilipino
Important applicant information
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please select "PILIPINO" as language if applicable.
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staffs and encourages applications from qualified candidates and persons with disabilities.
UNDP is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNDP staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNDP jobs.
UNDP has zero tolerance of sexual abuse, abuse of authority and exploitation.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension