- Provides substantive support for the development and implementation of UN Country Team (UNCT) data and research strategies
- Assists in the development and expansion of strategic research and data partnerships
- Undertakes monitoring and reporting of UNCT results
- Supports knowledge management and capacity development
- Assists in the design and implementation of the UNCT’s data and research strategy, in alignment with the Country Common Analysis (CCA) and UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF);
- Undertakes empirical analysis, data mining and visualization, as assigned, to assist the Resident Coordinator (RC) and UNCT, including results groups, in developing reports and working papers on sustainable development topics;
- Compiles and analyses information on the latest developments of the use of new types of data sources and tools (e.g. big data) for sustainable development;
- Provides substantive and analytical support to RC/UNCT in preparing and positioning the UN to accelerate the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the country, including the drafting of reports, as well as analytical and position papers;
- Contributes to UNCT research and development of data and research tools and methodologies at the country level;
- Keeps abreast of emerging development issues to optimize UNCT’s analytical capacity to respond to national priorities;
- Contributes substantively to the development and implementation of peer review and quality assurance mechanisms for UNCT’s research products;
- Administers UNINFO planning, monitoring and reporting system and contributes to the development of the One UN Country Results Report.
- Supports the UN’s work with national data and statistical systems, facilitating engagement with national entities and data systems;
- Communicates and coordinates with existing partners and helps form new partnerships with UN agencies, academia, the private sector, and governmental agencies to further the use of data science for development.
- Communicates and coordinates with internal and external partners on data collection and project/research implementation;
- Supports the convening of key thinkers on sustainable development and 2030 Agenda to provide inputs on, advise and steer the UNCT’s research and data agenda.
- Assists in strengthening the UNCT’s partnerships with research institutions and similar entities across the UN system though concrete collaboration on areas of the 2030 agenda.
- Supports inter-agency efforts on results and progress monitoring and reporting on the UNDAF and Joint Programmes, particularly through UNINFO;
- Assists in preparing the UNDAF monitoring and evaluation (M&E) framework and reporting results at country, regional and global levels.
- Contributes to independent evaluations of UNDAFs as a key element of the UNDAF cycle, and other interagency work related to monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
- Serves as country focal point for country-level, regional and global M&E initiatives and networks.
- Assists in the sharing of best practices within the UNCT and with UNCTs in the (sub)region and globally, based on a solid understanding of the incentives that people need to utilize knowledge.
- Advocates for knowledge sharing, inspiring others within the RCO and UNCT to contribute their expertise through internal and external platforms and tools, working closely with colleagues at the regional level to ensure usable knowledge is shared between and applied by UNCTs.
- Assists in the identification of good practices and lessons learned at the different levels of the UN System (national, regional and global) and share findings with HQ, Regional and country colleagues so that best practices benefit UN’s work;
- Contributes to the UNCT’s exchange of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned with external partners.
- Provides substantive support for assigned thematic activities and knowledge-sharing forums and encourages others to participate.
- Contributes to knowledge sharing (including through training and peer exchange) amongst UN staff on issues related to UN strategic planning frameworks, methodologies and tools;
- Draws upon other UN experiences, lessons learned and knowledge networking to provide contributions to strategic planning processes.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
Level 4: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully.
Ability to persuade others to follow .
Level 4: Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others.
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
Level 4: Models independent thinking and action .
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
Level 4: Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis.
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Level 4: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services.
Important applicant information
All posts in the NO categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension