FHI 360’s Crisis Response department is seeking a Deputy Response Coordinator for FHI 360’s Ebola response efforts in North Kivu and Ituri provinces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The Deputy Response Coordinator’s primary responsibilities are to assist the Response Coordinator with the management of all humanitarian activities at the field level, with a focus on heading programming aspects of the response. Under the supervision of the Response Coordinator, the incumbent will fill a critical role on the response team in country overseeing all program staff and program activities from the field office, as well as program support functions related to the project.
Based in Butembo, this duty station has been designated as high risk or extreme risk and poses a heightened risk or direct threat to personal safety. Applicants should research this location and the associated risks before submitting an application.
- Oversee on-site humanitarian response including management of programs, personnel, logistics, security, fundraising, external representation and transition planning.
- Manage and mentor field staff including technical leads, HR, logistics, grants and reporting, budget for programs, monitoring and evaluation, and others at the field level to create a strong foundation for emergency programming.
- Lead, oversee and coordinate field assessments of emergency needs and develop a response strategy in collaboration with host country government, the UN system, other humanitarian organizations and the Crisis Response Team (CRT), as well as Regional and Country management teams as appropriate.
- Design, develop, resource (people and funds) and implement emergency response programs that meet the near and longer-term program objectives needs of an affected community.
- Oversee quality and consistency of programs through on-site monitoring to ensure and enhance program effectiveness and quality.
- Advocate with and/or advise peer agencies, local governments, donors and other stakeholders to influence responses to promote delivery of inclusive and high-quality humanitarian services.
- Represent FHI 360 within in-country humanitarian coordination mechanisms for the Ebola Response
- Oversee and ensure compliance with FHI 360 policy, procedures and practices throughout the program; recommend country or emergency specific policy/procedures as required.
- Coordinate with country office (if applicable) and HQ to troubleshoot any issues; make recommendations for corrective actions.
- Conducts analysis of program implementation to identify areas for improvement and propose appropriate technical strategy and guidelines.
- Provides leadership and team building.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge and application of Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) and Sphere standards and Red Cross/NGO Code of Conduct.
- Experience working with Office of US Foreign Disaster (OFDA) and US Department of State Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (State/PRM) preferred.
- Certification in project management preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in multi-sector project management and implementation.
- Demonstrated work planning and scheduling, staff development and capacity building experience.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing complex projects that are strategic in nature and national/international in scope.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English and French. K-Swahili skills preferred.
- Experience operating in insecure environments.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of diverse scope that require analysis or interpretation of various factors.
- Exercises judgment within selecting methods and techniques to determine appropriate action.
- Builds productive working relationships with internal and external staff.
- Decision may affect a work unit or area within a department.
- Receives methods and procedures on new projects and assignments.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual budget.
- Provides technical supervision and guidance to other lower level personnel including grants officer and technical leads
- Reports to the Ebola Response Coordinator.
- Bachelor's Degree or its International Equivalent - Economics, Education, Environment, Health, Human Development, Information Science, International Development, Social Sciences or Related Field.
- Master or other advanced degree preferred.
- Certification and/or Degree in logistics and/or supply-chain management preferred.
- Typically requires 5 - 8 years leading complex on-site emergency response projects and/or programs; including 3 - 4 years of project management and/or emergency response experience
- Experience establishing startup operations/projects in new countries preferred.
- Proficiency with database management software and on-line search tools required.
- Has sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Articulate and professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive fashion with clients and staff.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company of progressive program management experience in humanitarian assistance or related industry experience in a relevant technical area.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office 365 (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail), office telephone, cell phone and printer/copier.
- Greater than 50%