About the position
We are looking for a highly qualified and competent Deputy Country Director –Programmes to provide overall management of the country’s programme strategy, donor engagements and liaisons, quality programme designs and implementations to bebased in Kampala.
Action Against Hunger is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. We save the lives of malnourished children. We ensure families can access clean water, food, training, and health care. We enable entire communities to be free from hunger. With more than 6,500 staff in over 45 countries, our programs reached 14.9 million people in 2015.
About the Programme
Action Against Hunger began its work in Uganda since 1980 in response to famine conditions in the Karamoja Region where we saved the lives of undernourished children while building the capacities of the community. We have been continuously operating in Uganda for the last 22 years delivering interventions in nutrition, WASH and Food Security and Livelihoods. For the last three years and with the same aim of saving lives and empowering the community, we have been working in the Northern part of Uganda to save lives of refugees and host communities while providing long term solutions to hunger. We are currently operating in and around Bidibidi, Kyangwali, Adjumani and Kyriandongo refugee settlements. Some of the major donors we have worked with include but not omitted to, ECHO, DFID, SIDA, WFP, BPRM, and French Embassy.
How you will contribute
You'll contribute to ending world hunger by ...
Leading in the design and development of country programme strategy, improve programme quality, donor reporting, compliance and documentation, staff management and as well as donor relations.
Key activities in your role will include:
- Work with the Country Director to provide leadership to the development and maintenance of a comprehensive needs-based program strategy for Action Against Hunger programming
- Provides strategic direction to the Technical Coordinators, PM's and support the Field Co/Managers in ensuring the effective delivery of program activities and the successful integration of activities with all other aspects of Action Against Hunger programming.
- Responsible for the development and finalization an overall program strategy that is responsive to the dynamic needs of the most vulnerable populations built on the program strengths of Action Against Hunger, legal frameworks and globally.
- Proactively identify new programming opportunities
- Responsible for the relevance and contextual appropriateness of Action Against Hunger projects in country.
Responsible for the promotion of technical integration and sensitization of staff on its applications, including transversal policies such as gender
Visit Action Against Hunger field activities regularly and report on problems, challenges and obstacles while building an intimate knowledge of fieldwork realities
Capitalization of integration and reporting information and data.
Leads on the development and roll-out of new and more effective systems to improve program implementation.
Regular participation in Coordination meetings at the capital and field level.
Regular communication with the advisors at HQ to support an integrated programmatic approach and ensure programs are technically supporting all sectors
Program Quality Insurance
- Oversee the quality implementation of ongoing programming based on robust grant management and monitoring and evaluation systems and the facilitation of Technical Department.
- Ensure that funding for programming is spent in a coherent, transparent and optimal way. Closely monitor program spending and follow up spending plans with Finance Co and PMs.
- Ensures review of Activity Progress Reports and Worksplans happen on a monthly basis.
- Provide formal and informal capacity building trainings to staff.
- Coordinate closely with Finance, Log, HR and Field Managers to ensure that security, procurement, HR and financial protocols are designed to support quality programming.
Donor Compliance, Reporting and Documentation
- Lead proposal preparation through a needs based approach ensuring all departments work together
- Ensure Narrative, Budget, PPP, Workplan, Budget forecasts, ongoing monitoring and kick off meetings take place for every program
- Ensure that all programs are compliant with donor protocols and reports are submitted on time to HQ for validation
- Ensure all donor reports are completed in a timely manner with the relevant input from the field teams and submitted to HQ for validation
External Relations and Partnerships
- Responsible for representation of Action Against Hunger in partnership-related meetings at a strategic level for workshops, working groups, etc.
- Identification and evaluation of potential partners and partnerships at country level.
- Carries out follow-up evaluation of partnership (programming and partner relations), maintains lessons learned and proposes action points for future improvement.
- Represent Action Against Hunger to donors, UN and partner INGOs, and national and local government officials (programs).
- Replace Country Director in case of absence
Management of Human Resources
- Direct manager of the Technical Coordinators
- Supervision of externally hired consultants for any program matters
- Responsible for the validation of technical departmental HR needs
- Responsible for the proper induction and debriefing of managerial staff.
- Promoting the commitment to Action Against Hunger Charter and prevention of frauds and power abuses
- Ensure regular feedback on performance of staff under his/her responsibility
- Advanced University degree (Masters) preferably in development and/or political/humanitarian studies or equivalent.
You are enthusiastically pursuing a career in senior management
You have a minimum 7 years’ humanitarian work in an emergency and/or a development context
You have at least 5 years of senior management experience
You have advance knowledge of donor guidelines and procedures (ECHO, EU, UNICEF, DFID, BPRM, GAC and others.)
You have high level financial management skills and are accustomed to steering an organizational budget.
You are passionate about leading ambitious programming that has impact.
You are able to see past the inevitable day-to-day emergencies to set & reinforce a long-term strategic vision for the country office.
You eagerly engage your teams & promote the development & implementation of innovative approaches to solve core humanitarian problems.
You’re comfortable coaching & developing the skills of your direct reports, adapting your leadership to professionals who may, or may not, be familiar working in humanitarian action
Your knowledge of the donor community ensures projects respond to the most pressing humanitarian needs & that activities remain compliant with grant requirements
You intuitively adapt how you communicate context analysis, strategy, policies & procedures to suit different audiences - both verbally & in writing
You are diplomatic but tenacious. You recognize that advocating for change & innovative programming requires building strong relationships with donors, local authorities & other partners, while retaining the space to speak confidently about Action Against Hunger’s programs & our knowledge of the humanitarian needs
You are disciplined and able to work and arrive at decisions autonomously with minimal guidance
You possess excellent programme proposal development and writing skills**Our Core values.**
*In this position, you are expected to demonstrate Action Against Hunger-USA-USA’s five core values*
Respect- we work with compassion and dedication, treating everyone the same way we expect them to treat us.
Integrity-: we believe that being honest and fair is integral to every aspect of our work; conducting our work with a spirit of sincerity, truthfulness and transparency is imperative.
Creativity-we encourage new ideas, embrace innovative solutions, and create opportunities for meaningful and exciting ways to do our jobs and provide solutions to address the needs of the populations we serve.
Excellence- we strive to provide services that meet, and even exceed, the expectations of our stakeholders (populations in need, staff, communities and donors).
Empowerment- we are committed to fostering an environment in which our staff, partners and communities where we work have the space to grow, develop and feel confident about participating.
What we offer
Action Against Hunger-USA values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to: -
- Health Insurance
- R&R Breaks
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Training opportunities
For an all-inclusive list of benefits check the Action Against Hunger-USA Website