Deputy Country Director – Programmes
Base: Lilongwe, Malawi
Contract type: Fixed term contract, until end March 2020
Salary: £25,270 - £36,030 pa, with comprehensive benefits package
Aim of post
The DCD-P will provide strategic leadership and management in developing the UP programme in Malawi. They will be expected to provide strategic leadership in the areas of programme development, implementation, quality and resource mobilisation. They will play a key role in spearheading the development, management, monitoring, evaluation, reporting, and impact assessment of UP’s country programme by providing strategic support to programme teams and the operations department. They will be expected to work closely and coordinate with the rest of the Senior Management Team.
• Critical steering role in implementation (and periodic review) of UP Malawi country strategy.
• Key member of the Malawi senior management team and as such is responsible for leading and supporting the UP Malawi leadership and management initiatives.
• Sit on CUMO board of directors and provide vision, direction and strategic support.
PROGRAMME DIRECTION, DEVELOPMENT AND QUALITY
• To keep abreast of opportunities for new programme development and funding.
• To lead the proposal development processes to ensure development of high quality, competitive proposals for submission to potential donors through the country director.
• To oversee the development, testing and implementation of new innovative, market oriented programme approaches appropriate for the context of Malawi.
• In conjunction with the programme managers to develop systems to ensure quality of programme design, implementation and monitoring, which incorporate learning from other agencies.
• To ensure quality control of donor reports in accordance with funding partner requirements, for submission through the country director.
• To represent United Purpose, when delegated, to government, Embassies/Delegations, the UN and other international agencies, funding and other partners, potential donors and other bodies including civil society networks, the media and the public.
STAFF MANAGEMENT AND DEVELOPMENT
• Provide leadership and management support to all UP staff reporting to this position including coordinating workplans, building team spirit and working, conducting performance appraisals, supporting staff development, etc.
• To encourage staff involvement and commitment to the running of the programme through regular meetings and visits and a participatory team approach to decision making.
• To recruit senior management staff according to in-country guidelines and UP policy, including equal opportunities.
RESOURCES AND FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
• To support the Country Director and DCD-O in ensuring effective and efficient management of human and financial resources of UP Malawi
• To ensure adequate budgeting of all new project initiatives, including a realistic contribution to core costs.
• To ensure timely production of monthly management accounts, project managers’ understanding and action on them.
• To ensure effective project budgetary control and monitoring in line with UP’s financial procedures and guidelines, fraud and risk management policies.
• To follow up with project managers’ on implementation of the recommendations of internal and external audits.
• To carry out other duties and responsibilities reasonably delegated to her/him by the Country Director.
• Relevant Masters level qualification or similar academic achievement.
Key skills and competencies
• Excellent strategic judgement, planning, co-ordination and prioritisation skills.
• Excellent communication and team-working skills, with the ability to build good relations, both internally and externally.
• Self-starter, capable of innovatively developing the programme.
• Attention to detail and a flexible approach to work.
• Determined hard worker, capable of rapid and quality turn around on a high workload and multiple tasks.
• Outgoing personality with solid interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
• Demonstrated cross cultural communication skills
• Adaptable and responsive disposition relative to the demands and development of the programme.
• Fluent written and spoken English.
• Minimum of 5 years’ senior management experience in leading the development and delivery of development programme strategies
• Excellent understanding of poverty and vulnerability issues in African/Malawian context
• Experience in leading and motivating multi-disciplinary teams, a high degree of self-awareness and an understanding of how to drive and support excellent team performance and individual development
• Proven ability to secure funding from a variety of donors including institutional, corporates, private sector contractors/fund managers, trusts and foundations.
• Demonstrated experience in participatory programme design (including proposal development), implementation and evaluation
• Proven ability to pilot innovations and scale up effective programming initiatives
• An entrepreneurial mindset with a strong desire to innovate
• Knowledge and experience with financial management, particularly ability to manage a complex budget, and donor compliance and reporting
• Monitoring and impact assessment experience highly desirable
• Knowledge, experience and appreciation of the dynamics of local institutions including local governments and community based development practices
This vacancy is archived.
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel
UN career subscription. Get new vacancies and internships daily on your phone.Subscribe now