IRENA is an inter-governmental organization, mandated by Governments worldwide to promote the widespread and increased adoption and sustainable use of all forms or renewable energy. In order to do so, IRENA will facilitate access to all relevant renewable energy. It facilitates and analyses the sharing of best practices and lessons learned regarding policy frameworks, capacity-building activities, available financial mechanisms and relevant technologies on renewable energy.
With its mandate that focuses primarily on renewable energy and our broad membership, IRENA plays a critical role in examining and verifying global renewable energy investment information and building an authoritative dataset.
Working as part of the Renewable Energy Statistics team, the intern will assist with the development of a database for the collection, storage and reporting of global renewable energy statistics. Specifically, this will involve participating in the following tasks:
- Development and maintenance of the renewable energy statistics database.
- Development of database queries, functions and setting permissions for checking and validating data and the production of statistical reports.
- Development of automated routines for the collection of data through annual questionnaires (distributed as Excel spreadsheets).
- Monitoring the performance of the database and suggesting improvements.
- The production of annual yearbooks of statistics, online data services and other statistical products.
Experience and requirements are as follows:
- University degree in computer science, information technology or similar discipline.
- Knowledge and experience working with databases, preferably Microsoft Access.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) is required.
- Analytical skills and a high level of attention to detail.
- Knowledge of the energy sector is an advantage.
- Fluency in English (other languages would also be an advantage).