- Coordinate and manage database activities (such collection, storage. analysis, and dissemination) to support application on planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects in the country office.
- Ensure the integrity, confidentiality and security of all datasets in UNDP
- Ensure that internal data asset library is maintained for the CO.
- Develop standard operating procedures for data handling and archiving.
- Ensure that functional and technical support is provided to the CO to ensure performance, operation and stability and inter-operability of different database systems;
- Provide quality assurance and advice data collection-related activities by programme colleagues, including reviewing questionnaires
- Provide technical input on UN joint work on data for development for monitoring SDGs, including UN joint programme on data;
- Work with the UNRCO in developing data sharing policies and guidelines for the UNCT;
- Work with the key MDAs and other stakeholders in improving the data ecosystem in Malawi.
- Provide substantive technical/oversight input in the process of piloting and integrating new technology or innovations to address development challenges in various portfolios
- Lead the process of mining and analyzing data from UNDP and other databases with a view to driving optimization and improvement of UNDP programmes and operations;
- Raise awareness of innovative data science tools to staff through various means, including presentations, blog posts, and training sessions;
- Support the Economic Advisor in ensuring that milestones and timelines are achieved;
- Ensuring that all experts working on data in RICE and RSG work together and there is synergy
- Strong problem-solving skills
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
- Excellent IT skills, knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment.
- Resourcefulness, initiative, and maturity of judgment.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrated good interpersonal and communication skills in order to be able to work well with data personnel and network software development team.
- Be detail-oriented individual who can consistently meet deadlines and work well within a team environment.
- Demonstrated capacity and capability in good problem-solving and analytical skills,
- Demonstrate strong planning, organizational and critical thinking skills in the field.
- Communicates effectively with and relates to people of significant contributions to corporate priorities or initiatives led by other UNDP offices and bureaus.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- 5 years’ experience in data management
- Experience in working with big data, data-based design principles.
- Demonstrated experience in both qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis.
- Experience with statistical packages/programming packages and tools such as MySQL/MongDB on database , JAVA, JAVA Script (ES6+) Php., Python, R, Stata, spatial analysis packages such as QGIS, ArcGIS, QJIS or other data analysis software
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks
- Experience using statistical computer languages (R, Python, SLQ, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets.
- Experience working with and creating data architectures
- Proven knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks
- Proven experience in the graphic design and technical implementation of user interfaces in a web-based environment.
- English proficiency is required
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension