This job will be a good fit for someone with a strong design background, with a proven product development / project management track record, who is an exceptional team player, flexible, and reliable with a real passion for and commitment to Myanmar.
It is a unique opportunity to join a successful and growing team and project in Myanmar in a key strategic role.
Job title: Programme Manager – Crafts Project
Reporting to: Director - Myanmar
Contract: Full time
Salary: Dependant on experience
Location: Yangon (Office in Latha Township)
Start date: July 2019
To manage the programme to preserve and promote Myanmar’s traditional craft industry. This will include everything from helping define strategy for the most effective way to work within a specific craft, to overseeing the design, production, quality control, marketing and sales of craft products - as well as ensure that the programme considers and tackles important needs of artisans in Myanmar.
- Project Development: Strategic design for the development of the programme across a range of crafts.
- Project Management: responsible for the delivery of the craft project. This includes developing and managing work schedules, budgets, clients, project partners and personnel (both employees and external consultants). Work with the commercial team to develop robust pricing models for new product ranges appropriate to direct production costs and market demand.
- Line Management: manage a growing team from craft Workshop Managers to Regional Coordinators.
- Training: design and deliver a comprehensive vocational training programme for Myanmar crafts people. This will range from training in specific technical issues in individual crafts to more general design development themes.
· Design and Product Development: manage and input into design development of product ranges within different crafts, with the support of international / local designers and retailers. Ensure adherence to design specifications and schedules for products required by clients and timely delivery of products to the highest standards.
· Quality Control: design and put in place procedures to ensure that the quality of crafts produced meet the high standards required by retailers and consumers.
- Research and Documentation: lead on research and documentation across the crafts worked in to inform design, record the state of the crafts, influence how to develop crafts and who to works with, to develop strengths and address weaknesses etc.
- Marketing and Communications: work with designers and retailers to develop strategies, materials and tools to market developed product ranges.
- Liaison with wider TMT team and networks: to ensure all processes, product standards and programme goals are in line with the global organization objectives.
- Exhibition: design and curate exhibits to promote Myanmar crafts and tell the story of the project and the artisans.
- Funder / Stakeholder Management / Fundraising: ensure project delivers funder objectives, and is compliant with their requirements. Responsible for all funder / stakeholder reporting on the project.
- Support to the Director: provide support to the Director across all projects where required e.g. in terms of curating more general exhibits, fundraising, production of general marketing materials and others.
It is the nature of the work of Turquoise Mountain that tasks and responsibilities are, in many circumstances unpredictable and varied. The Myanmar team is small, and all staff are expected to work in a flexible way when the occasion arises and undertake tasks that are not specifically referenced in the job description.
· University degree level of education in a relevant area
· Experience of working within a design field i.e. craft, arts, product design, interior design, architecture etc.
· Existing management skills and project oversight experience
· Ability to communicate clearly as part of a wider team working in a cross-cultural environment
· Demonstrable experience of interpreting or developing designs and / or products
· An excitement for and commitment to working in Myanmar
· Experience of delivering vocational skills training is desirable
· Exhibition curation experience desirable
· Experience of running a business or a social enterprise desirable
· Marketing / retail experience desirable
· Good presentation, desk top publishing and reporting skills
· Fluent English with good written skills essential and Burmese desirable